Author Topic: Henry Greenwald died 21/6/1986 - but where?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline mikey8156

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Greenwald died 21/6/1986 - but where?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
According to his probate entry, Henry (or Harry J) Greenwald of London died 21/6/'1986. But nothing in the GRO death index. No entry in the overseas deaths on Findmypast or Ancestry,  or in London Times.  I even contacted the relevant probate office, but they couldn't help.

I know he was born Henry Greunwald in 1904 and became Greenwald in the 1930s, worked in advertising and publicity.  Married Ruth Sacks/Sachs in 1940 who then took the first name Philippa, but was Ruth when she died in 2016.

I don't expect anyone to know the answer to where he died, but any suggestions where else i might look to find where?

Thanks
John

Hi, I lived next to Harry and Phillipa Greenwald in Highgate if I can be of any help.

Offline Anglophile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I know exactly when & where Harry died, and where he is buried. He was staying with my husband and I at our home in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia, before he was hospitalised for a brief time until he died. Harry was my late husband’s brother-in-law and a man whom we all adored.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 March 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Anglophile

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

thanks for posting your reply.

John who started this topic should receive a notificaton that you have posted and hpefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Anglophile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 March 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn for your response. I would be most interested to know who is looking for Harry. The person who lived nextdoor in Highgate was right. Harry’s wife was Phillipa born Phyllis Sacks. She only died in 2016, aged 97. She still lived @ 7  Cholmeley Cres in the concrete bunker designed by Harry. They had originally lived @ 5 Cholmeley but built on 7  many years ago.

Offline Anglophile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harry Greenwald
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 March 19 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn for your response. Harry & his wife Phillipa (born Phyllis Sacks) lived in Cholmeley Cres Highgate since the early 1940s, first @ no 5, then @ no 7 where Phillipa continued to live until she died in 2016. She was NEVER called Ruth. That must be a different person altogether. Harry & Phillipa did not have a daughter, they had only one son. Harry had a brother Daniel but I didn’t ever hear of a sister. His family originally came from Switzerland.
Harry came to Australia after he was diagnosed with cancer. He wanted to consult his brother-in-law, my husband, who was a medical practitioner.
I would be most interested to know who is looking for Harry and why.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
My interest in Harry Greenwald was his brief appearance as an author - "Chinaman's chance" and "Knock Twice", both published 1981 by the now defunct Robert Hale. As a librarian I was always intrigued by the mass of light fiction from this publisher over the years, most by unknown authors, and so I decided to see if i could identify any of them. A contact at Hale was willing to share what little information they had on their authors - in Harry's case it was his London address, date of death and his wife's name.With no sighting of his death in the GRO deaths (apart from a Leah Greenwald who died in the same area in the same quarter at the almost same age), a post here became a necessity. Though I have now discovered his death on the Probate Index as Henry Greenwald but given as occurring in London!

Regards
John

Offline Anglophile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 03:00 GMT (UK) »
 :) Many thanks for that. I have both of those books. Harry was something of a Renaissance man & loved dabbling in the arts in all forms.
He is survived by his son & 2 grandchildren.
Kind regards,
Megan

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I have now discovered his death on the Probate Index as Henry Greenwald but given as occurring in London!

Just to clarify this one point; the Probate Index tells us where and when probate was granted in respect of any interests the deceased person had in England and Wales, regardless of where they died.

I didn't realise this until recently when I found a similar entry for an English friend who died in Spain.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Steve Greenwald

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that Henry Greenwald, my father, died on June 21st 1986 in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia. I was with him at the time.

Stephen Greenwald.