Author Topic: City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 May 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know, - is there a numbered plan of the Cemetery anywhere, showing where the plots are situated?
Yes, the plans of City & Tower Hamlets Cemetery (also known as Bow Cemetery) are at LMA. They are not online.

Here’s a link to the catalogue listing for them (scroll down to pages 16-17)
https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/CTHC.PDF

Please note, the link given above in reply #16 is not for this cemetery, but for the City of London Cemetery, which is an entirely different burial ground, at Ilford.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 May 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know, - is there a numbered plan of the Cemetery anywhere, showing where the plots are situated?
Yes, the plans of City & Tower Hamlets Cemetery (also known as Bow Cemetery) are at LMA. They are not online.
Here’s a link to the catalogue listing for them (scroll down to pages 16-17)
https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/CTHC.PDF
Please note, the link given above in reply #16 is not for this cemetery, but for the City of London Cemetery, which is an entirely different burial ground, at Ilford.

Thanks for explaining that Bookbox. (I was puzzling over that map showing Ilford).

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 November 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I have found an entry on Ancestry Cemetery Rgeisters  for Tower Hamlets for Ellen Cowell, Abode: 17 York Street Stepney, Buried August 16 1866. Age 19 yrs. I cannot see any other info on this record such as a reference to burial number etc. Am I missing something here . Everyone seems to talk about a reference number but I can't see anything but the above. Can someone help please?
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 November 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I have found an entry on Ancestry Cemetery Rgeisters  for Tower Hamlets for Ellen Cowell, Abode: 17 York Street Stepney, Buried August 16 1866. Age 19 yrs. I cannot see any other info on this record such as a reference to burial number etc. Am I missing something here . Everyone seems to talk about a reference number but I can't see anything but the above. Can someone help please?

You're not missing anything that is online. The other data referred to above, regarding plot numbers etc., can only be accessed at LMA. It is not online.

Please see reply #18 above, which includes a link to the relevant pages of the LMA catalogue showing the material available at the archive.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 November 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I will follow the contact information.
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline tel605

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 November 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Name:   Ernest Wilson
Birth Date:   abt 1897
Burial Date:   11 Nov 1957
Burial Place:   London, England
Reference Number:   CTHC/01/118-122

From the image scan it looks like it might have been a shared grave.

Hi Tsu

Very late response from me - just digging up info (excuse pun!) on my GG Grandmother Eliza Russell (nee Hodge). She is buried in CTC under the same ref as above, but on 25 Jan 1901 age 64. Not sure if this indicates it was the SAME grave as Ernest. Or does this ref indicate multiple graves? However, I do know that graves were certainly re-used over the years. But Eliza would not have been buried in a paupers grave as she was quite well off.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 November 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Name:   Ernest Wilson
Birth Date:   abt 1897
Burial Date:   11 Nov 1957
Burial Place:   London, England
Reference Number:   CTHC/01/118-122

From the image scan it looks like it might have been a shared grave.

Hi Tsu

Very late response from me - just digging up info (excuse pun!) on my GG Grandmother Eliza Russell (nee Hodge). She is buried in CTC under the same ref as above, but on 25 Jan 1901 age 64. Not sure if this indicates it was the SAME grave as Ernest. Or does this ref indicate multiple graves? However, I do know that graves were certainly re-used over the years. But Eliza would not have been buried in a paupers grave as she was quite well off.

I don't really think it matters where you're buried once you're dead! However, if she's buried in the same grave as my late Uncle, then she's in convivial company... (I'm told that he was a very good story teller:-)

I have actually found other incidences of graves being re-used. For example, my Great Grandmother's 7yr old sister was buried in the same grave as her own Grandmother, in East Grinstead, Sussex.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 November 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »

Shared multi-occupancy graves were very common in London cemeteries even a while into the 1900s.  They weren't "pauper" graves because the family paid something towards the cost, they just couldn't avoid a private grave.  I've a number in shared multi-occupancy graves in the late 1800s and early 1900s, including one of my great grandmothers which we were somewhat surprised about.  Obviously the more people buried in the grave. the cheaper it would have been.  I suspect its possible "pauper" graves were those with a considerable number of people in but its often difficult to tell from the registers from my experience.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day