Author Topic: Elizabeth Walker M.S. Henderson of Ruthwell or Annan  (Read 3200 times)

Offline steveg6638

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Walker M.S. Henderson of Ruthwell or Annan
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 May 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input jaybeinz.

However whilst my Walker ancestors were in Cumberland, England, until around 1841, William Walker was definitely born in Annan, Dumfries-shire, Scotland (1856) and the later census records for Elizabeth Henderson indicate she was born in Dumfries-shire as well (around 1855-1857).

Regards

Steve

Offline steveg6638

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether I'm making some headway with trying to trace the birth of Elizabeth Walker M.S. Henderson. However if I'm on the right line, it's throwing up more queries!

I've found an Elspeth Henderson born in 1856 in Ruthwell, showing on SP - so right place and right time frame
Her birth record shows an illegitimate birth on 2 Feb 1856 with the parents being named as Jessie Henderson and James Campbell (Ag Lab) - looks like in Clarencefield.
I understand that Jessie can be a pet name for Jane, Janet and Jean - so a possible connection to Jeanie (Jeanie Davidson m.s. Henderson, given as parent's name on Elizabeth Walker's death certificate)

Elspeth is shown on the 1861 census (age 5) in Cummertrees with her mother Jessy and presumed half sister Janet Little (age 3). There is an entry on Family search for the birth of Janet Christina Henderson with mother Jessie Henderson in Cummertrees on 15 Oct 1857 - so presumably this is Janet Little.

On the 1871 census there is an Elizabeth Campbell (age 15) as a servant in the Johnston household at a farm house in Brydekirk.

I can't find Elspeth/Elizabeth Henderson/Campbell after 1871, and this would fit with her now being Elizabeth Walker on the 1881 census.

The mother of Elspeth/Elizabeth, Jessie Henderson appears on the 1881 census in Murray Street, Annan with her daughter Janet Henderson, son John Henderson, and grandchildren from Janet of Jessie and John J.

There is a similar entry in 1891 (Rose Street, Annan) with the addition of James and William (presumed further grandchildren)

In 1901 (Rose Street again) the daughter Janet is recorded as being the head of the household (although she is entered as Jane on the transcription). There is the addition of an Agnes aged 5 - unknown as to whether a daughter of Janet or the younger Jessie.

I understand Murray Street and Rose Street are both adjacent to Butts Street where Elizabeth Walker and her family resided.

There is a record on SP for the death of an illegitimate Jessie Henderson in 1907 (age 72). Strangely it appears to show her father as a James Davidson! Ironic as Elizabeth Walker's death record shows her parents as Andrew Davidson and Jeanie Davidson m.s. Henderson (working assumption Jessie Henderson)

My difficulty currently is trying to link Jessie/Jeanie Henderson to Andrew Davidson, to validate all of the above.

I've found an Andrew Davidson in Annan born about 1822, but he was married to a Mary Davidson going back to at least 1861, and he pre-deceased his wife. Their son also Andrew was born about 1859 in Annan and was married in 1883 to a Margaret Rule.

So neither of these Andrew Davidson's help the mystery of the parents names given by Elizabeth Walker's son on her death record.

I was wondering whether anyone had any further thoughts on other sources I could investigate, or whether I should ignore the Davidson name and accept the other evidence as validating my great great grandmother as being Elspeth/Elizabeth Henderson/Campbell ?

Regards

Steve

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Well done Steve  :) I can see the logic and steps to what you have found. From what you saw on the birth cert from 1856, if this the correct one, her father showed as James Campbell on the cert?

The flicking back and forth with surnames for illegitimate children you often see at this time.

Now the question of the Andrew Davidson showing on Elizabeth's death reg, with her son as informant, you would think is just confusion by her son when reporting. 100% proof likely hard to find.

For this period, finding christening entries is impossible normally online. Pre 1855, when you do find them, sponsors' names can help if family members were acting as sponsors.

Monica

PS: If you haven't come across this site before, it is great for picking up on first name variants such as www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jean.html
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steveg6638

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes James Campbell was showing on the birth record on SP for Elspeth Henderson, with mother as Jessie Henderson.

I did find the link between Jeanie and Jessie from the whatsinaname site. As you said, a very useful site. I don't think I could have ever guessed at a link between the two names.

The death entry for Jessie Henderson looks like it says that she died at 22 Butts Street in Annan (SP are trying to get a clearer scan for me). However Jessie doesn't show among the names on the Valuation Rolls for this year, at this address.

I don't know whether it is just another co-incidence but William Walker (Elspeth/Elizabeth Henderson's presumed husband) was showing as a tenant at 22 Butts Street in 1902.

The Andrew Davidson link, as a presumed stepfather, is the thorn in all of this. Have I just picked the wrong Elizabeth Henderson, or has her son some how got it wrong when reporting her death ? With this uncertainty it makes me question whether I'm on the right path or not.

As Elspeth's birth was in 1856, would there be baptismal records held somewhere ? Could local churches in Ruthwell hold them, or the county records office ?

Steve

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
You have a lot of circumstantial material there to be feeling more confident. Pain that Elizabeth does not seem to have a statutory registration of a marriage to William  :-\ By the sounds of it, likely that 'mother and sister' you have also got by without a marriage either....

In respect of local church records, I don't know but hopefully someone can advice. Maybe also contact the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society for advice on this?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk