Author Topic: Why the name Nicholson?  (Read 782 times)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Why the name Nicholson?
« on: Friday 05 May 17 04:27 BST (UK) »
Marie Sophia Nicholson de Guerry de Lauret 1852-1919
Austin Charles Nicholson de Guerry de Lauret 1858 1936

Why the name Nicholson?

Auguste Pierre de Lauret(Father of the above) was for a long time superintendent for Sir C. Nicholson and Mr. Lithgow in the estates of Kenmore near Goulburn and Currendooly near Goulburn.

Sir Charles Nicholson, 1st Baronet (23 November 1808 – 8 November 1903).

Just the name seems odd do you name your children after your employer.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks
Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Why the name Nicholson?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have NSW families back to the 1790s, and from a quick check it was not unusual to include as middle names the surname of their Godparents.  Is it likely that Charles Nicholson, (your chap's employer)  was Godparent/Sponsor to Marie Sophia and/or Austin Charles?

Main thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769715.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Godparent would explain it.

Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 06:06 BST (UK) »
It is possible that the 1852 document as listed at the NSW BDM index would name the sponsors, particularly if it is for a Roman Catholic baptism.   The official transcription will have same info, and is cheaper.  The NSW BDM document for baptisms is likely to be typed up anyway, so no original signatures for autograph hunters  ....

1852, baptism for Mary S M  Volume 69, line 1733 with parents listed as Auguste P C C and Anna  M U DE LAURET

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856
Roman Catholic 1840-1855 Vols. 61-72 Reels 5021-5027   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
I agree with JM.  I have quite a few ancestors born around the early 1800s who have surnames (many of whom I cannot trace) as a second or third forename.  There are one or two where I know it was a colleague of the father. Some even have what one might call 'payback' - in my family is Henry Anderson DYER and there is also a Henry Dyer ANDERSON so I guess Mr ANDERSON and Mr DYER must have know each other quite well.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk