Author Topic: Italian marriages  (Read 540 times)

Offline tarblonka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian marriages
« on: Friday 05 May 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a marriages in Italy for my wife's ancestors. Her g.grandfather was Pasco Someo and we are pretty sure he was married in Capua or Cassino, Italy. They had 3 children, Pietro b.1866, Livio b. 1870 and Raffaelle b. 1878. All except Pietro were married in Italy probably in the same region. any suggestions please 

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Italian marriages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Italian marriages
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
This page on the FamilySearch website provides an excellent overview of Italian Civil Registration.

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Italy_Civil_Registration-_Vital_Records#Births_.5Bnati.2Fnascite.5D

I believe that both Capua and Cassino were in the Kingdom of Naples (Regno di Napoli), a region that continued the civil registration introduced by Napolean after his defeat in 1815. This would suggest that you should be able to obtain a marriage certificate from the appropriate registrar's office (anagrafe)

Is there any way you can definitively determine their town of origin?

This file http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13493479 held at the National Archives would probably answer several questions. Although it is theoretically closed until 2048, it's well work while submitting a Freedom of Information request.

Justin