Author Topic: Relation who worked for John W Synder Treasury Secretary for Truman  (Read 555 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am trying to trace what happened to a relation of mine, she was an emigrant from Cork, Ireland called Anastacia Russell born in Cobh circa 1907, she married James Manning from the village of Ballycotton, Cork. He appears to have died sometime between 1940 & 1948. As a Widow she worked as a Secretary for John W Synder, Secretary for the Treasury in the White House during the Truman Administration. Her married name was Anastacia Manning. I know from the last record I found (Find my grave) that she was alive in 1974, I have no idea what her native state was or her date of death or where she is buried.

Below are the records I have found on her through the Truman Museum records in Missouri:

1. The name of Anastatia R. Manning appears once in President Truman's daily appointments calendar. She is listed as one of about eighty persons who were invited to witness the presentation of the Medal of Merit to Secretary of the Treasury John W. Snyder at the White House on May 14, 1947.

2. Researchers at the Truman Library found one letter from John W. Snyder to Secretary of the Interior Oscar Chapman, dated July 2, 1951, with the handwritten notation "Mrs. Manning-3405" in the upper-right-hand corner. The White House, July 2 1951

3. Listed on the below link to memorial of her work colleague:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73683007

4. 1948 Immigration record & 1940 Census link - https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AAnastacia~%20%2Bsurname%3AManning~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AIreland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1905-1909~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22United%20States%22

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Relation who worked for John W Synder Treasury Secretary for Truman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
12 July 1946 "Argentina" arrived N.Y. from Cobh, Eire: Anastasia Manning, age 38, widow, 1 Scott Circle N.W. Washington D.C., naturalized U.S. District Court St. Louis Missouri 1938.

Social Security Death Index: Anastatia R. Manning, SSN: 495-18-2732, born 17 Sep 1907, died 12 Jan 1992, State (Year) SSN issued: Missouri (Before 1951)

St. Louis Post- Dispatch, 17 Jan.1992: MANNING, ANASTATIA R. (nee Russell), Jan. 12, 1992, in her 84th year, fortified with the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church, beloved wife of the late James Manning, dear sister of Mary Russell of Plymouth, England, Peggy Mulligan of County Sligo, Ireland, Col. Ted Russell (Ret.), County Cork, Ireland, Jack Russell of Yorkshire, England and Eileen (Lulu) Moroney of La-hinch [?], Ireland and the late Kathleen O'Keefe and Dennis Russell, special aunt of Kevin O'Keefe of London, England, sister-in-law, aunt, great-aunt, great-great-aunt, special friend of Mary V. Roach and Family, dear friend of many in the St. Louis area. Mrs. Manning made an anatomical donation to St. Louis University School of Medicine. Memorial Mass for Statia will be on Sat., Jan. 18, 10 a.m. at St. Gabriel the Archangel Church, 6303 Nottingham. Donations to Catholic Family Services or charity of your choice would be appreciated.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/141485945/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Relation who worked for John W Synder Treasury Secretary for Truman
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's very helpful