Author Topic: Missing death registrations for Maypole Colliery disaster  (Read 1157 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Missing death registrations for Maypole Colliery disaster
« on: Monday 08 May 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
I am going through the list of victims of the Maypole Colliery disaster of 18th August 1908, trying to get proper names rather than just initials. There's a list on Wigan World - http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/past3.php?opt=past

Surprisingly few of the people appear to have death registrations, either on FreeBMD or LancashireBMD, which has excellent coverage for Wigan in the period.

I know that the inquests dragged on until well into the following year, so I've checked 1910 as well. Levi Rushton seems to have his death registered in the last quarter of 1909, for example, but there are many surnames with nothing mentioned, even though they seem less prone to mistranscription.

Even if the bereaved could organise their affairs with a certificate issued early on by the coroner, the deaths ought to have been registered?

Surely the deaths were registered?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death registrations for Maypole Colliery disaster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Well it does say that the last body was recovered in 1917.
I'd go much later than 1910 in the death indexes.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Even if you do stretch the period, it doesn't reveal many extra possibilities. "A Devaney" might well be John, registered in 1911.

For example, there ought to be a couple of Killoran deaths, but still none.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
A few forenames are listed on http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/Mining.html,that only appear as initials on the Wigan link in your first post. Also, this list provides street addresses.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Even better is this list on an Irish based site:

http://hennigansheritage.com/Maypole.html#menwhodied

towards bottom of page, albeit read disclaimer as to how it was arrived at, which states:

In the list below, the first names are my best transcription of the 77 name on the postcard. They are followed in block capitals by names I have verified by other means, in particular from the memorial in the churchyard.

The postcard in question, with pictures of some of those who died, can be seen at:

http://hennigansheritage.com/Images/maypole_pcB.jpg

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Another list with transcribed list of full names and photograph of part of the actual memorial on which first names are clearly recorded:

http://healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/reminise/maypoleD.htm

It seems many of the bodies were never recovered.

What is clear across the various sites, is that some names, even on the memorial, are not entirely accurate.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Well it does say that the last body was recovered in 1917.
I'd go much later than 1910 in the death indexes.

An inquest on the unidentified skeleton of a victim of the explosion found in the colliery, was held on the 7th March 1922. It was stated that 37 of the victims were still unrecovered.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 May 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Levi was buried
on he 2nd December 1909
so perhaps he died later from his injuries
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,