Author Topic: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event  (Read 8741 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,

In 1937 there was a social anthropology project, Mass Observation, which called for people to keep a diary.  The most famous diarist was Nella Last portrayed by the late great Victoria Wood in the superb drama 'Housewife, 49'.

People are again asked this year to record a diary for just one day this Friday, on 12th May.  I have added the link if any of you are interested and would like to know more.

www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

Thanks for posting this link. I think it's a great idea to add to the archives of every day life as we all do something different and they make for fascinating reading.
Social history is of great importance and the more people that write about their 'ordinary lives' the better. As with FH to read anything about our ancestors pasts is one more step to understanding how their lives were.

I shall certainly write one up and send it in.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I really appreciate your response. :)  I couldn't agree with your comments more.  I too, will definitely be sending in my diary for that day.  Social history is so very important and the more of us who are willing to do 'our bit' the better.  I am so glad to hear that you think the same.☺

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
That's ok, I think I also like reading about people's lives because you want to feel like a fly on the wall! One can't imagine how life was for the ordinary man and woman in the 19thC!

We don't know how lucky we are these days. As I often say, all that they went through we are here today because our ancestors were the survivors and we should thank them for their daily grind against many odds.

I don't know if you've ever read any of the regimental WWI diaries but I have also found them most interesting to read. It makes you feel you are there with them and it does give a greater understanding of what they were going through on a daily basis. Quite harrowing at times but utterly fascinating.

I hope that more people will take this opportunity with the link you've put on here to participate.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
How interesting. I'd never heard of Mass Observation day before.

I wonder if they will accept ring-ins? (from countries other than the UK)  ;) :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
I love reading about other people's lives too and imagining what it would be like to live in their shoes.  I have been researching my family tree now for a good  several years and have been amazed at all the stories that have emerged and at how my ancestors thrived and survived.  It certainly does make you appreciate how much we owe our ancestors, the more we learn about them.  I haven't read any regimental diaries as yet, but I think I will.  I do have ancestors who fought and died in the Great War.  I do hope too that more people will be inspired to participate in this Mass Observation diary day event.

I too, had not heard of Mass Observation day continuing, before yesterday.  I have read Nella Last's diary and have watched the drama portrayal by Victoria Wood on TV.  When I heard about the Mass Observation day (12th May 2017) yesterday, I thought perhaps others, like me, have not heard about this.  I then decided to post this information on RootsChat because I think this is such a great idea and so important for social history.  I so agree, with everything you say, Caroline.

Thank you too for responding Ruskie.  I do appreciate this.  I am not sure if they accept ring ins but I do think they accept diaries for the day from other countries.  Here is the email address for enquiries which is on the website too:

(*)

I do hope you will be able to participate too. :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
I notice there have not been many responses to this thread as yet - this sounds like the kind of thing that the majority of rootschatters would be interested in participating in, so I am surprised at the lack of responses so far.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 01:37 BST (UK) »
I think it is a great idea.
Unfortunately, it seems to be limited to the UK so I won't be able to participate.
Maybe we could start a similar scheme down under.
Just trying to think of a title for it. Ideas welcome
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 02:07 BST (UK) »
I haven't attempted this Jackie, but sometimes the system will accept overseas input, even though they say it is for UK residents only. I've managed to do this a couple of times where a UK address is asked for, but it still accepts an overseas address. I don't know if that is the case with this project though ... I suppose you woudn't want to go to the trouble of writing a diary for the system not to accept it.  :-\