Author Topic: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
I have just received confirmation and thanks for mine.  :D

i have too, nice of them to take the trouble to write. Looking forward to writing one next year.
I shall keep this years upon file and then can compare when I write in 2018.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 18 May 17 06:55 BST (UK) »
I have just received confirmation and thanks for mine.  :D
Me too. :)
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 18 May 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
Yes Caw1 that's my plan too. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 18 May 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Caw1 & mowsehowse,

I thought you posed some good questions lately regarding acknowledgement and possible publication. So at the risk of being the a queries menace  ;)I contacted the person again at Sussex via email.  (Although, I am glad to read now that you have both had confirmation.). This was this person's response:

'...auto reply system now in place for new submissions..We do not have any plans to publish diaries on-line or in print.  We do occasionally use diaries for publicity as on our website at present.... processing of diaries will be an on-going task for some time to come.'

I have not had my confirmation yet.  If others haven't either; don't worry I am sure this will come over time as the huge task of processing gets underway. :)

I am glad to read you have your confirmation too Greenvale.☺

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 19 May 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Caw1 & Threlfallyorky,

As you both sound like avid readers,- like me - I am recommending another book on the Mass Observation theme.  This one is called:

'Private Battles
How The War Almost Defeated Us
Our Intimate Diaries'

This book contains the diary writings of two men and two women who wrote for Mass Observation during the Second World War.  One was a Quaker and research chemist; one a secretary in Glasgow; another was a publicity & marketing officer who had a love of politics and lived happily with her beloved cats and the fourth a soldier.  These diaries are skilfully put together by Simon Garfield.  I agree that buying new books can be very expensive.  I was able to get this one from the library.  I am not far into the book as yet but already this seems to be a very promising read. :)

P.S.  I have now received my confirmation, too. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 19 May 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Caw1 & Threlfallyorky,

As you both sound like avid readers,- like me - I am recommending another book on the Mass Observation theme.  This one is called:

'Private Battles
How The War Almost Defeated Us
Our Intimate Diaries'

Good morning RTY

Thanks very much for this further suggestion. I'm just about to start 'Our Longest Days' and looking forward to reading it.
I was out at a dinner the other evening and was talking about the Mass Observation and the book and an elderly lady smiled and said she remembers reading it and all out the Mass Obs. I shall have to chat to her further as she has some wonderful memories and is a very interesting person. I love to listen to people talking of that time and what life was like.

TY -
 I know what you mean about owning your own books, I do too! Hence the reason OH has put up 4 large floor to ceiling book cases all along our landing. I was told it would have been cheaper if I could get rid of some!!   Are you joking I said, no he said having spent a whole day putting them up so I thanked him very much and said don't worry I'll put all the books in!!!

What a cheek writing his name in your book! Perhaps you should instigate a library fine system for those who are non returners!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
I agree, it was cheek. didn't stop me taking it back, though, and ticking him off! Better than a fine, I withdrew his borrowing rights for good.
We've got to the point where, despite having a decently sized house, I simply can't identify anywhere else, in any room, that another a bookcase can be built! (Like you I have a tame bookcase-maker - but even so he once revolted, and said "No, not there" - so I made one that fitted perfectly into the space myself.... I think he was rather proud of me, actually)
OH says "One in - one out!", but doesn't seem to have noticed the piles in the room I use to work in, climbing up the wall ( the piles, not me - yet!). I live in hope of finding another way to fit another set of shelves in .... somewhere....
Books mentioned duly noted onto "sneak-'em-in" list. Thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)