Author Topic: Annie Maria (Harwood) Keleher b1872 m1896, d1961 Sydney Australia  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Marcus2146

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Maria (Harwood) Keleher b1872 m1896, d1961 Sydney Australia
« on: Monday 08 May 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am unable to find any records for the birth or immigration to Australia of my maternal great-Grandmother, Annie Maria (Harwood) Keleher.   
I have her marriage certificate, which confirms her marriage to Timothy Thomas Keleher (shown as Thomas on the certificate) in 1896, and her age.  It lists her parents as William Harwood and Elizabeth "unknown", both deceased. Her Father's occupation is recorded as "Farmer", but family legend has him as a seaman or captain. The NSW Births Death Marriages registration of the marriage records Annie's Father's name as John Harwood.
I am reasonably confident of her date of birth, 26th July 1872, and her date of death, 23rd October 1961, as these were confirmed by my Grandmother, and agree with the details on the marriage certificate.
I am unable to find any documentation that I am confident to associate with her Father, William. The marriage certificate is the first documentation I can find which refers to Annie (Harwood) Keleher.
I would therefore appreciate any suggestions or information which would provide more details about this lady and her parentage.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Maria (Harwood) Keleher b1872 m1896, d1961 Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
It doesn't help with parentage but here is her death notice just in case you don't have it

Ros

adding : Welcome to rootschat Marcus  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
It could be worth buying a transcription of one of the children's birth certificates (say Noel in 1915) which should show place of birth for mother.

Let's see what others can find first  :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
I have her marriage certificate............It lists her parents as William Harwood and Elizabeth "unknown", both deceased. ..........The NSW Births Death Marriages registration of the marriage records Annie's Father's name as John Harwood.

I think you mean 'registration of the death records Annie's Father's name as John Harwood'.

Both certificates should show a place of birth which you haven't told us.

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate, 1896. please....church......residences....ages...birthplaces......witnesses.....bride and groom.....everything please.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 05:04 BST (UK) »
Marriages registered with NSW BDM from 1895 to recent times should include the details Wivenhoe lists.  NSW BDM website has the following:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx

Bridegroom's full name, occupation, place of residence, conjugal status, place and date of birth, age, father's name and mother's maiden name.

Bride's full name, occupation, place of residence, conjugal status, place and date of birth, age, father's name and mother's maiden name.

Celebrant's name and witnesses.

The NSW BDM's civil register also records the location of the ceremony, and where the ceremony was conducted by a clergy, it will also record 'according to the rites of'  the denomination of the clergy.

Official transcriptions have all the same details without the fancy certification, and are already transcribed by reliable people familiar with the long hand of the recorders. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 06:11 BST (UK) »
Adding to the pleas for a full transcription of that marriage certificate.

The only possibility I have found is a long shot.

NSW unassisted shipping records show this family coming to Sydney from Wellington per SS Hauroto, arr 3 April 1884, in steerage class
Mrs HARWOOD + infant
Alice HARWOOD
Willie HARWOOD
Annie HARWOOD
Emma HARWOOD
Grace HARWOOD
There is no other information, just this list.

At a quick look I can't see these children's births registered in NZ; nor can I see definite marriages or deaths for them in NSW, which is not to say that they're not there, just not with enough identifiers.  :(

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 07:04 BST (UK) »
Here's a 1902 sighting of the couple

NSW Electoral Roll 1902 SOUTH SYDNEY, polling at Redfern
This is the first time females were on these NSW rolls. It was not yet compulsory to enrol, but you did need to be 21 years and over and a British Subject.

Annie KELEHER,  55 Douglas Street, domestic duties
Timothy Thomas KELEHER, 55 Douglas Street, labourer

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
Adding to the pleas for a full transcription of that marriage certificate.

The only possibility I have found is a long shot.

NSW unassisted shipping records show this family coming to Sydney from Wellington per SS Hauroto, arr 3 April 1884, in steerage class
Mrs HARWOOD + infant
Alice HARWOOD
Willie HARWOOD
Annie HARWOOD
Emma HARWOOD
Grace HARWOOD
There is no other information, just this list.

At a quick look I can't see these children's births registered in NZ; nor can I see definite marriages or deaths for them in NSW, which is not to say that they're not there, just not with enough identifiers.  :(

Judith

Hard to be sure with so little information on the ship's list, but in my experience, children were usually listed in birth order (with the exception of infant which was bracketed with the mother)

So if this is the right Emma, EDIT Annie she was about 12 years at this time.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk