Author Topic: Pleasant Place South Shields. Where was it?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasant Place South Shields. Where was it?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 May 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
I think the houses shown on this photograph http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k34/  could be the ones on the map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/435905/566762/13/101249
From the Shields Daily Gazette - Saturday 27 January 1883, you can see the flight of steps next to the public house.

Stan

Many thanks for all that information Stan, I have attached a copy of the 1851 census which actually shows the Dobson family living at (blank). The family above them were I thought living at 96 Pleasant Place but it could well be 9b Pleasant Place. The family below were living at 11 Nelsons Hill, which I assume changed its name to Bank rather than Hill. So I think that you are correct in saying that Pleasant Place was a small row of houses that ran off/beside Nelsons Bank. Another photo from the same collection shows 'Back yards of nos. 7,8, and 9 Pleasant Place. The gable end in the centre of the image is that of 15-17 Cone Street". so as you said previously I agree that Pleasant Place was down the bottom of Nelsons Bank before the corner of Commercial Road and Cone Street. I think that is the closest we are going to get unless a map can be found with Pleasant Place written on it. Much appreciate your help. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 May 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
The Dobson Family are also living at No. 96. In 1851 the end of the 'family' was marked by a line across the page, similar to that indicating the end of a house, but only running across part of the second column, as well as the third and fourth. The line for the end of the house ran completely across the first four columns. In addition the beginning of a new household was marked by a new schedule number in the column provided for that purpose.

It definitely says 96 Pleasant Place, but the numbers start at 25 to 14 then there are numbers 97 and 96, followed by 10 to 7 Nelson's Hill. In 1861 you have 7 to 18 Nelson's Bank, then 1 to 9 Pleasant Place.In 1871 you have 8 to 18 Nelson's Hill, then 1 to 10 Pleasant Place. In 1881 1 to 17 Nelson's Bank and 1 to 9 Pleasant Place. So it looks as though Pleasant Place and Nelson's Hill/Bank have been renumbered after 1851, but I don't understand why there are numbers 97 and 96 in 1851.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 May 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
The Dobson Family are also living at No. 96. In 1851 the end of the 'family' was marked by a line across the page, similar to that indicating the end of a house, but only running across part of the second column, as well as the third and fourth. The line for the end of the house ran completely across the first four columns. In addition the beginning of a new household was marked by a new schedule number in the column provided for that purpose.

It definitely says 96 Pleasant Place, but the numbers start at 25 to 14 then there are numbers 97 and 96, followed by 10 to 7 Nelson's Hill. In 1861 you have 7 to 18 Nelson's Bank, then 1 to 9 Pleasant Place.In 1871 you have 8 to 18 Nelson's Hill, then 1 to 10 Pleasant Place. In 1881 1 to 17 Nelson's Bank and 1 to 9 Pleasant Place. So it looks as though Pleasant Place and Nelson's Hill/Bank have been renumbered after 1851, but I don't understand why there are numbers 97 and 96 in 1851.

Stan
Thanks Stan, the things you learn from RootsChat members are amazing, never knew about the length of the line across the columns indicating various things.
The 1861 census had the Dobson's, minus Jeremiah who had died, living at 18 Nelsons Bank. Now whether 96 Pleasant Place had been renumbered 18 Nelsons Place or whether they had moved 'up the road' is a good question. However I have found out where Pleasant Place was and for that I am grateful to you. Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields