Author Topic: Looking for my Grandmother's Birth Jessie Mccrae/Currie - Possibly in Scotland  (Read 3996 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There is something a wee bit odd.
Swall does not know who Jessie's parents were?
They are listed on the 1945 marriage that swall says the info came from?

3 Barnecutt children from this marriage were born in Cornwall between 1950 and 1953
Chempat then  located the family in Glasgow at 1960 ( ER possibly prepared in advance circa 1959)
 .... AND. all 3 children married in Glasgow in the 1970's ?
There is no doubt as all 3 names match completely?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandmother's Birth Jessie Mccrae/Currie - Possibly in Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Death?

Jessie Mccrae Barnecutt born 12th December 1924, died April quarter 1997 age 72 in Kerrier, Cornwall

Jessie Barnecutt on ER 27 Ruchill Street, Glasgow, in 1955 - no Husband.  (Emily and Robert Currie at same address, with others)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandmother's Birth Jessie Mccrae/Currie - Possibly in Scotland
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Jessie, Robert and Emily Currie on ER in 1945 for 27 Ruchill Street, Glasgow.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
There is something a wee bit odd.
Swall does not know who Jessie's parents were?
They are listed on the 1945 marriage that swall says the info came from?

Anne,

From initial post....

"I have the dates but cannot find any record which then might indicate who her parents were or where she was born etc

DOB 12th Dec 1924
Death Apr 1997"

Annie

Added, Could it mean the marriage details were taken from the index?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thought I would add this link I found for future ref. (just in case) as there's mention of Cornwall relating to the surname Barnecutt..

http://www.barnecuttgover.me.uk/default.html

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
From OP
"Her maiden name is shown as Mccrae on her marriage certificate but shown as Currie on her children's birth certificates. I think she was Scottish but I am not 100% sure."

Swall states that Jessie's name  of McRae came from the marriage cert.

The index shows that her last name was Currie and parent names are listed on all Scottish marriages.

Im off to the GRO today and will look at it.

Offline swall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies wow !:)

Firstly sorry let me clear up. I myself do not have any paperwork. I was told through a family member that one of the names on her certificate is a Mccrae (which seems to be a middle name from reading the replies here?). I was also told by my Father that he remembers it possibly  having been Currie though he was not sure, so those are the two names that I had to search with. I have only been doing this a little while so apologies for the misunderstanding :)

I came across 3 documents in my search. 1 death index and 2 Electoral registers. The death index confirms what we 100% know that she died in Cornwall where my Grandfather died.

What I was having trouble with was finding any information on Jessie's birth and parents and the same for my Grandfather.

@anne_p 
That would make sense that Mccrae would have been a middle name and Currie the last name. Is there a way to link me the index to that so I might add it to my collection?

@chempat
Yes that was her husband Peter :) As far as Peter goes I have only managed to find his death index and the Electoral register.

From what I have been reading in the replies it seems as if her parents may have been a Robert and  Emily Currie ?

Thank you so much for all of your help so far it really is super appreciated :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Peter Barnecutt is in a tree on Ancestry, and it is claimed that he was born in Falmouth to an unknown mother.  No birth showing on free bmd.
So you need to wait for anne_p to report back on that marriage certificate.

Were you aware of Scotlandspeople website - free to register and have access to searches, but paying for certificates :

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

Added:
Just realised it is your tree on Ancestry, and in GenesReunited.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
I was at Register House today and copied the details of Jessie's birth.
I also have a copy of her parents marriage for you swall.

Jessie McRae Currie born 12 Dec 1924 at 75 Burnhouse Street, Glasgow
Her parents were indeed Robert Currie (Policeman) and Emily Warren Paterson who married in Glasgow on 9 Apr 1923.

I listed all the details from the 1945 marriage and I have forgotten to write down the exact date!

She married Peter William Barnecutt (age 20)  at Maryhill Old Parish Church ( Church Of Scotland)
He was newly engaged in active service as a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps.
Address: 1 Coronation Cottages, Maoe ?, Cornwall
Parents : Edgar Barnecutt ( Stone Cutter) and Emma Richards

Jessie was 20yrs old, a Fish Restaurant Assistant of 27 Ruchill Street, Glasgow

Witnesses were: Louis Garment, 73 Cadder Road, Glasgow and Elizabeeth Currie of 27 Ruchill Road

Both of Jessie's parents are listed as aged 31 on their 1923 marriage cert
Robert was the son of: Thomas Currie  & Jessie McRae.
Emily Warren Paterson was the daughter of: William Paterson and Matilda Jane Warren.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I will gladly send you this cert.
( I think you may need to make one more post before you can send a PM?)