Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Constance Mary Kearns after 1929 ?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whatever Happened to Constance Mary Kearns after 1929 ?
« on: Friday 12 May 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Constance Mary Kearns (nee Howard) was born on the 23rd October 1890 in England and moved to Canada with family in 1911, she married Joseph Kearns in Toronto in 1917 and lived there as far as i know until she divorced Joseph in 1929.
Joseph died in 1940 in Toronto but what happened to Constance ? did she remarry or move away or did she die in Toronto ?
Bit of a mystery for me, can anyone show some light on her.

Dave.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Constance Mary Kearns after 1929 ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Any children born to the marriage?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 03:53 BST (UK) »
I dont know if they had any children sorry.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
This seems to be their marriage..

Name:    Joseph Kearnes
Birth Year:    abt 1881
Birth Place:    Sabathu India East
Marriage Date:    2 Jun 1917
Marriage Place:    York, Ontario, Canada
Father:    Robert Kearnes
Mother:    Mary Jane Fulton Kearnes
Spouse:    Constance Mary Howard

And in 1921 they are in McGill Street Toronto (very badly mistrancribed as Conslanes Kanns!) with other Howard family members,on the passenger list she did say she was going to her brothers.

There are no children by 1921.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Yes ,I have that info with the Canada census etc but nothing on Constance after 1929 which is my mystery, perhaps I need to find more about her other family, might be a clue with them ?
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Paied a trip to my local library and took a look on Ancestry for Constance. My membership has run out.

Found a birth and christening record for her it states her name was Constania Maria Howard.

Found a passenger record for her coming to Canada in 1911 on Vessel Grampian. Port of arrival Halifax Nova Scotia.
She is listed as Constana M Howard she was 20 years old  going to her brother in Peterboro she was a bookseller. Not a great copy.

Joseph enlisted with the CEF WW1 born 30 July 1880 He was born in Sabathu,East India and Constance was next of kin having married him June 2,1917 just a short while after he enlisted, his occupation looks like musician.  They were living at 22 Carlton Toronto, York.  I have searched high and low for any sign of Constance after  the divorce but she seems to have vanished. She may of remarried or moved away. Anyone with a current Ancestry membership might find her on the Voters Lists The Toronto Reference Library might be able to find her in a directory search. I will take another look around.

There is a headstone on Find A Grave for Joseph along with a family note. Buried at Prospect Cemetery,Toronto

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Found a birth and christening record for her it states her name was Constania Maria Howard.

This is her birth reg which fits the birthdate  given in opening post.  Was it a Catholic baptism you found? 

Constance Mary Howard December qtr 1890  Nantwich  8a 315

Found a passenger record for her coming to Canada in 1911 on Vessel Grampian. Port of arrival Halifax Nova Scotia.
She is listed as Constana M Howard she was 20 years old  going to her brother in Peterboro she was a bookseller. Not a great copy.

The outgoing passenger list for the Grampian 14.3.1911 Liverpool to Halifax shows Constance but has been transcribed as Constancia - probably because the "e" at the end is a bit squffy.  No other details on that list
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 May 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Obituary for Constance Mary's mother... Constance Howard (see her maiden name was Bradshaw - from other records).  Obit is in the Globe and Mail newspaper, 9 Oct 1948, page 24.

She died on Oct 8 1948 at her home, 40 Elgin Ave in Toronto.  She was in her 83rd year.  Wife of the late Thomas Edmund Howard.  Mother of Mrs Camill Hiebel (Constance), Mrs John MacPherson (Mabel), Thomas, Eleanor and Mrs Allan Gilham (Winnifred).  Says funeral was private...no burial location given.

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Constance Mary Hiebel in the Globe and Mail, March 11, 1981, page 51.

Constance Mary Hiebel died on March 7 1981 in Toronto.  Wife of the late Camill Hiebel.  Sister of Eleanor Howard and Winnifred Gillham.  Aunt of M Fraser and Barbara Outram.  (both female)

RK