Author Topic: Alice Lee Place, Glasgow Road, Wishaw  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Lee Place, Glasgow Road, Wishaw
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 17 04:26 BST (UK) »
Annie, through some sleuthing I found a family called MacFarlane who lived in Alice Lee Cottage in 1891. Daniel, wife Margaret, both aged 61 plus family. This is not the OP's family, but I just wanted to find someone/ anyone living at that address.

The transcription on Ancestry only gives the address as Glasgow Road, Wishaw. Trouble with the transcriptions is you can't move onto the neighbouring family to see their addresses, like you can when you view the images on English censuses, so impossible to narrow down a location on Glasgow Road (obviously a very long road with loads of households).  ::)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 May 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

The McFarlane's & others are there for the years I gave you on SP VR's.

I've been searching for the street name to no avail.

Trouble with SP is you can't search census' with addresses only the VR's  ::)

Also, the transcriptions may not give the full address either (from experience) i.e. you only get part of it.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 May 17 04:53 BST (UK) »
It looks like we're back to square one. Maybe the next step is tofind very detailed map lf the area and just work our way along Glasgow Road, though it's still not certain it will be named.

Added: I checked a few maps on Old-Maps.co.uk - some nice detail but I can't see Alice Lee Cottage or Place inthe vicinity of Glasgow Road Wishaw ...

Offline Hebe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 May 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
I found the address on the Marriage certificate of Gt Grandmas and her second husband. It was 1912. They must have been living together as they both have the same address. She was Sarah Smith and married Walter Anderson. Thanks everyone for helping me.

Hebe

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hebe.

Couples often give the same address on their marriage certificate, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are living together. I think it sometimes relates to Banns prior to their marriage only needing to be read in one parish if they give the one address, rather than Banns being read in both the bride and groom's parishes, therefore saving money.  :)

Do you have both of these people in the 1911 census? I am asking because although people did move around more than we think, they just as often stayed in the same area, sometimes moving only a street or two away - so I am just hoping to find some clues really. :-\ 

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 May 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Wishaw and Cambusnethan role of honour for WW1, lists a few deaths of chaps with address Alice-Lea and Alice-Lea Place, Glasgow Road. Also, an old newspaper mentions a publican in the area, with Alice Lea address. And a 1924 newspaper has golfing news that mentions Alice Lea, Glasgow Road, Wishaw.

Annie, through some sleuthing I found a family called MacFarlane who lived in Alice Lee Cottage in 1891. Daniel, wife Margaret, both aged 61 plus family. This is not the OP's family, but I just wanted to find someone/ anyone living at that address.

1895 has Alice Lee Cottage in Alice Lee Place, Glasgow Road, Cambusnethan.

Looks to be a very small area with a Shop, Bottling Store, a few houses & a cottage.

Annie

1895 newspaper lists a 'bottler' business for sale by a retiring Daniel McFarlane, Alice Lea, Wishaw. I wonder if it was anywhere near the old Clydesdale distillery.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 May 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
1905 Valuation Roll

HAWKINS
ALICE
MRS
Tenant Occupier
ALICE LEE COTTAGE NO 194 GLASGOW ROAD
CAMBUSNETHAN

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 May 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Is that not 194 Main Street, Wishaw though?  Would 194 Glasgow Road not be further out, nearer Aldi?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .