Author Topic: Missing Grandfather  (Read 1680 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Grandfather
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
My husbands grandfather went missing sometime in late 1960/ early 1961, apparently he went to get a packet of cigarettes and never came home.

I've never asked on here before because I know we aren't allowed to track down living people and his daughter believes he may be alive, however I was looking up his parents on the 1939 register and he is on there.

As he was born 1932 his record should be closed unless he has died - so I thought I'd ask rootschatters to help find his death

Gwynfryn D Morgan born in Trehafod, Pontypridd 4th Feb 1932 to David and Edith

As far as I'm aware his wife never had him declared dead - believing he had left her,
 rumours are/were that he had gone up the Rhondda (Unfortunately she has died so I can't ask her)

Can anyone track him down for me - mods if his record being open on the 1939 register isn't enough proof of his death I'm very sorry

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
As he was born 1932 his record should be closed unless he has died - so I thought I'd ask rootschatters to help find his death

It is quite possible that he has died.

But please bear in mind that there have been several mentions on Rootschat recently of people who are still alive having 'open' records on the 1939 register. I discovered my 89 year-old aunt's entry was open despite the fact that she's very much alive, and they had no evidence whatsoever of her death.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759287.msg6099320#msg6099320
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can you write to findmypast and ask them what proof that they have that he is dead?
You probably won't get a detailed answer,  but anything is a worth a try.
Maybe explain that it is your (husband)
missing grandfather. Hopefully a real human being at FindMyPast will take time to look at your query and answer it properly for once- I think it's worth a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What does the D in his name stand for?
David , Daffydd?
Was he called Gwyn to his friends and family, or did he always go by his full name? Or did he go by his middle name?
For instance , he may be just listed as Gwyn and not by his full name of Gwynfryn ,if that name is what he  was only know as by the informant at death.

His age also may be a couple of years out on his death too, as you probably know the info given at death is  only as good as the informant's knowledge about the person.
Kind Regards
Edited to add
There is a Gwynfryn D Morgan listed in the electoral rolls in 2002  to 04 on the 192 com site  (I haven't got paid access so don't know in which area the above is in)
Can you rule him out?
There is also another but without the middle name in the  Pontypridd area during the same period
Have you looked in  the rolls for him, and ruled  out all the ones that are listed?
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 17 06:28 BST (UK) »
Just a note of caution.  My sister was looking up a record on the 1939 register over the weekend and came across a record that is open much to our surprise. We were in the persons company only a few days ago. Birth year 1933.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
rumours are/were that he had gone up the Rhondda

Goodness :o
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:33 BST (UK) »

Will PM you something I have found.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
His name and date of exact birth of birth do not appear to be on the GRO death index upto 2007 but I do know that FindMyPast were using a partner to try and open entries for deaths after 2007.

I can check the death index after 2007 for you later this week.

Although his exact name and date of birth might be unique, there are hundreds of other people in the death index with the same date of birth, maybe his entry has been opened in error.

It might be a good idea to ask FindMyPast but make sure you download the image because if the record is closed again it won't re-open until 2032.

It's a shame Nettie didn't post openly but if it is because he is still alive please let me know by pm and I will remove the topic.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Checked one of the large municipal cemetery in Rhondda Fawr (Trealaw) no name to match name listed, but index only goes up to 1990s.

Don't have info for Rhondda Fach area.  Both are the Rhondda Valleys, but Rhondda Fawr is the larger.    (just for info)

I also came across a 1939 register record that was open for someone born 1939.  The individual is still very much alive.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I won't post the links, because the people he was with maybe living, or he may be living, but if you google his name with the "           " to get exact results, you'll come across a person with his exact name in Pontypool in the electoral rolls in the early 2000's.
You'll also get the postcode  and the  street where they lived from the results too. One of the persons ( a lady) he is with was age 69 in 2004, so in  his age group.
It may be someone else with the name name or it may be your husband's grandfather -it is not that  common a name with the D

As you probably know Pontypool is not that far away, around about 19 miles from the Rhondda, people don't always stay in the same place .

If no death can be found for him , he could very well be still alive, unless he emigrated of course.

I 've been trying to find an obituary for him, and for one of the other residents of the same address, but haven't had any luck locating one

NettieS , have you found a death for him? I don't want to know the exact  details in your PM , but if you have found a death, or found that he is alive, could you post here that you have found his death,  it saves others carrying on searching for him

Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u