Author Topic: Where to look for birth to get certificate.  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for birth to get certificate.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 May 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Marriage cert says Our Lady & St Nicholas & St Anne, Liverpool which is Anglican. He married 18 Jan 1876 • Our Lady & St Nicholas & St Anne, Liverpool to Harriet Dowbiggin my husbands direct ancestor. So wondering why you are looking at R.C.records. ????
Because they are there.

Don't dismiss that RC baptism. It's perfectly possible for Joseph to have been born to a family who were RC, but get married in an Anglican (or other denomination) of church if he married a member of that church.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 May 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Cannot imagine a catholic in my husbands family marrying outside the faith. There is a long history of family quarrels because of this very problem, believe me. So much animosity is unimaginable to me but I have heard of the religious divide. Such a shame. Hubby lost touch with his family because of it.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 May 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Cannot imagine a catholic in my husbands family marrying outside the faith. There is a long history of family quarrels because of this very problem, believe me. So much animosity is unimaginable to me but I have heard of the religious divide. Such a shame. Hubby lost touch with his family because of it.
I don't doubt that, but it can and does happen, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility, even if it seems so unlikely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 May 17 04:09 BST (UK) »
I will use the quotes & add my notes in blue  :)

"Cannot imagine a catholic in my husbands family marrying outside the faith. There is a long history of family quarrels because of this very problem, believe me. So much animosity is unimaginable to me but I have heard of the religious divide. Such a shame. Hubby lost touch with his family because of it"

"I don't doubt that, but it can and does happen, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility, even if it seems so unlikely".

I agree Forfarian.
We are talking about adults who married who they fell in love with & I have RCs who married in Anglican or whatever Protestant churches.

I also have the opposite! My mother was an 'Atheist' (her choice in life) but born Irish Protestant.
Her parents were protestant although her mother was born to a Catholic born father (my g g/father).
Her g/father obviously gave up his own faith of Catholic when he married my g g/mother.

When my mum (protestant) married my father (RC), my mum had to take 'Rites' for to marry in the Catholic Church.

I'm unsure to be honest how that process was but I do know that in those days my parents had vowed that any children being born to the marriage would be brought up as Catholics which was the case.
I will add though, my mum never had to change her 'non religion' (Atheist) to become a RC to marry in the RC Church.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"