Author Topic: Murphy/Reeves Rathpeacon, Whitechurch, Co.Cork  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Murphy/Reeves Rathpeacon, Whitechurch, Co.Cork
« on: Saturday 30 July 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
Timothy Murphy  and Catherine Reeves married in probably the late 1860s and lived on the Old Mallow Road, Rathpeacon,, just outside Cork.  I am told that together they had 10 children, 5 boys and 5 girls.  On August 29th 1880, the last child, Ellen (Ellie), was born and Catherine died one day later as a result of a haemorrhage from the childbirth.

I know from the 1911 census that Timothy Murphy was still living in the house at that point, with one unmarried daughter, Mary.  I would be very interested to know what happened to the other children of the family.  I know names of only a few of them- a son, Patsy, who moved to South Wales, another son Thomas and a daughter, Elizabeth. 

There is a record of a Daniel Murphy being present at the death of Catherine Murphy nee Reeves.  In the 1911 census, a Daniel Murphy lives in the house next door to the family of Timothy Murphy and he lists several children two of whom bear the names Timothy and Ellie, both names from the other Murphy family, which leads me to believe that he may be the same Daniel and may have been the eldest son of Timothy and Catherine, although he would have been only about 10 yrs old at the time of Catherine’s death if it were he.  His wife is Eliza.

I will be in Cork next week to try to get relevant certificates and have a look at the 1901 census, but would be extremely grateful if anyone else had any info.

Ceallachain