Author Topic: Army Medical Corps  (Read 542 times)

Offline JoLouise79

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army Medical Corps
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new at this so please forgive me if I'm not sticking to script.  My late Grandfather, Frederick Penrose served in the Army Medical Corps as a Cook, but as he died when I was 5, was unable to ask him about his time serving in WW2 and the only photo we have with him in uniform is on his wedding day.  The only other relative whom he might have told about his time in the army passed away in 1999 and that was my Mum's older brother.  Does anyone know of any way I can access any old records of his or any way of getting a single photo of him in uniform (if one ever exists).

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me solve this.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army Medical Corps
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
His records will still be with MOD (they won't contain a photo).  As he was your grandfather, applying for his record should be straightforward. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
Despite what the advice says on the introductory page, if you don't have his service number, his date of birth and death cert (which you do need) should suffice. 

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army Medical Corps
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
If you google you will find a very poignant poem "The RAMC" by Col W H Atkins.

It is under copyright, but well worth finding.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.