Author Topic: 1881 John & Elizabeth Jones - Jarrow/Hebburn  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1881 John & Elizabeth Jones - Jarrow/Hebburn
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
John and Elizabeth Jones on the 1991 Census they are living at 7 Georges Street, Jarrow.

John Jones   is showing as aged 36 and from Wales, Cardiff
Elizabeth Jones   is showing as 34 and from Hebburn

along with heir daughters Sarah 7 and Lilly 3 both born Jarrow
and Border Joseph Chambers (Possibly Elizabeth's Brother) aged 25 also from Jarrow.

John James and Elizabeth nee Chambers married June 1880 in Jarrow

I am trying to find more information on John. John died in 1898 aged 44 therefore there are no Census records beyond to look for him.  I have had no luck finding him or Elizabeth in 1881 and was hoping a fresh pair of eyes could help.

The only other information I have on John is that on the marriage cert his Father is listed as Benjamin Jones Occupation Commission Agent.

Thanks in advance
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 John & Elizabeth Jones - Jarrow/Hebburn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
I looked for Joseph Chambers who you mentioned

1881 16 / 5022 / 117 / 37
there is an Elizabeth Chambers 19 Hebburn ?
(Elzith Chambers)
Parents Thomas (Thos) and Sarah?

i realise age of Elizabeth is out but says she is married?
what occupation did john have in 1891?

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks durhamgirl73

It's possible, however there is a William Chambers aged 23 also Married living there. Best guess is that is Elizabeth's husband and she has been recorded as daughter rather than daughter in law.

Still no sign of John Jones though :(

1991 John was a Shipyard Labourer
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
You are probably right  :-\

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at gro there is a : birth for Thomas Chambers Jones 1881 JFM South Shields 10a 737
                                              death for Thomas Chambers Jones 1881 JAS South Shields 10a 350
                                              (age 7 but think its supposed to be 7 months)

He could be on 1881 census?
If this is correct you could buy his birth certificate to see where he was born.

other children :

Sarah Chambers Jones 1882
Benjamin Jones 1884-1889
Lily Jones 1888
Margaret Jones 1891

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Not sure I'd get much more if I order the Death Cert it shows a South Shields area which they have already been present and given the marriage they were in the South Shields area in 1881.  It doesn't give me any more info on John,  he's the stubborn brick in the wall.  I;ve had so mant birthplaces change through Censuses I need to find more to track a Birth. I've not got the money to order the certs for all the John Jones born in Cardiff 1853-1855 to check.  Hoping to narrow it down through Census first .
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Just thought the death certificate would give an address - then you could find the address on the 1881 census
(but I would get the birth certificate to make sure parents are John and Elizabeth)
Believe me I know certificates are expensive but may be worth the money if it helps locating John in 1881.

just purchasing the birth certificate would give you a place of birth.

South Shields is the registration district (probably will be Jarrow!)

I dont have a subscription to ancestry but someone may be able to find out who is living at 7 Georges Street Jarrow in 1881?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I've not got the money to order the certs for all the John Jones born in Cardiff 1853-1855 to check.
The only other information I have on John is that on the marriage cert his Father is listed as Benjamin Jones Occupation Commission Agent.

You don't need to order lots of certificates.  On the GRO ordering page where it asks "Is the GRO Index Reference Number known" select No and then enter the year you are interested in as 1854.  On the next page specify that the father must be Benjamin Jones & the place of birth (Cardiff). They will then search 1854 and one year either side for an entry that matches.  If they cannot find a match then your £9.25 will be refunded.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 May 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
This family could be a possibility, particularly as John named one of his daughters Margaret:

1871 Pottery Bank, Thornaby RG10/4901/39/14
Benjeman Jones 52  Head  Tredgar (sic), Wales,  Iron D[??]  Agent      
Margaret Jones 51 Wife  Lantrisent (sic) Wales     
Thomas Jones 19 Son Treforest Wales  Stocktaker in Works   
John Jones 18 Son Treforest Wales  Labourer In Works
Mary Jane  Barker 13  Servant  Stockton, Durham 

Treforest is about 10 miles from Cardiff, so in the right general area.  Thornaby is right on the Durham/North Yorkshire border, just over the river tees from Stockton. 

In 1861 the family is in Bishopwearmouth, but John is not with them – RG9/3767/34/1
Benjamin Jones 42 Head Abergaveny, Monmouthshire,  Foreman Iron Rolling Mills   
Margaret Jones 41 Wife Lantrishan, Glamorganshire      
James Jones 13 Son Llenlethy, Carmarthenshire, Scholar     
Thomas Jones 9 Son Treaforest, Glamorganshire, Scholar   
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.