Author Topic: margaret devlin  (Read 742 times)

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
margaret devlin
« on: Friday 19 May 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
hi all im looking for info on margaret currie born abt 1824 ireland to william currie and margaret johnstone married hugh devlin in hillsbourgh co down  march 1842 then they moved to boness scotland about1850 where hugh died 17 may 1881 then family moved to shettleston lanarkshire she died 28 jan 1912 i am looking for any info on her mum and dad and siblings her dad was a sergeant in army as stated on her death cert
christina

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: margaret devlin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
This probably belongs on DOWN or IRELAND board but you can click on 'report to moderator' to get it moved.

The dates you are looking for are before civil registration and will largely depend on whether or not church records have survived but remember that not all records are online. So, what religion would they have been? Exactly where in Hillsborough was marriage supposed to have taken place? since marriages usually are in the bride's church that's probably the first step to searching for the Currie family.

If William Currie was in the army then there's the added complication that the family might have moved around a bit over the years, children were born in different places and family all moved away from Co. Down or even Ireland at some point. So, have you searched for the parents in Scotland?

Unfortunately the combination of William Currie/Margaret Johnston isn't that distinctive and if may be difficult to positively identify them in any records that you do find.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: margaret devlin
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you I was hoping someone may have the same as me but a bit more info as margaret died in shettlson but thanks