Author Topic: 1692 Merionethshire Bond Place name  (Read 995 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: 1692 Merionethshire Bond Place name
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi!,
This is what I was researching...
Ellis ap William ap Hugh died in Citalgarth Merionethshire in 1645, and he left a bond and inventory.. (Bookbox interpreted that for me!). The bond was signed using a distinctive "HW" by Hugh ap Wm.
The "H" used by Hugh ap William Pugh in 1693 has a strong resemblance to the "H" in the "HW" mark of 1645.
Do you think these marks are close enough to consider that "HW" was in fact Hugh ap William ap Hugh (Pugh).. they were both on a Citalgarth records ( Ellis Roberts died in Citalgarth.. in 1693) Citalgarth was a small community close to Bala
Here are both marks..
Trying to get through a massive brick wall!
Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
I agree they look very similar, but I'd be reluctant to base an identification on a handwritten capital H alone. It may simply have been the prevalent style of letter-formation in that particular area at that period.

Is there no other way you can pin him down? Have you tried posting on one of the Welsh boards?

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox,
I agree about the Letter mark, and it was a very long shot indeed. I will persist, as it always seems that new clues will turn up.. It keeps my grey matter amused anyway!

Thanks for your kind interest, I hope all is well for you, and I extend my thanks once again to the RootsChat community!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser