Author Topic: Super sleuths needed - finding birth mother  (Read 9030 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Super sleuths needed - finding birth mother
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 May 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
Just posting for reference. There are a few notices from family.

The Argus
Mon 1 May 1944
NICOL. –On April 30, Margaret, the dearly loved mother of Maisie and George Gale,and loved grannie of **** and ****. –Dearly loved.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11816586

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 May 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
AFTER the expiration of fourteen clear days from the publication hereof application will be made to the Supreme Court of the State of Victoria, in its Probate Jurisdiction, that PROBATE of the WILL (dated the 27th day of April, 1940) of MARGARET SUSANNAH NICOL, late of 10 Thomson street, Gardenvale, in the State of Victoria, widow, deceased, may be granted to Harrison Geoffrey Nicol, of 207 Church street, Richmond, in the said State, dentist, and Masie Ivy Gale  , of 93 Asling street, Gardenvale, In the said State. married woman, the executor and executrix named in and appointed by the said will. Dated this 9th day of May. 1944._

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11822919

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 May 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Was it the will of the older sister who died in 1986 which caused the family squabble?  (Or did I read that wrongly?)

If so do you have a copy of the will and the probate?  I think that several documents or certificates may have been part of the probate process if the will was disputed or queried.  ( or ambiguous )

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
"..Family squabble over substantial will, it is told to Maisie's children "she wasn't really a Nicol, she was a foundling"

I probably assumed it was the Will of Margaret NICHOL d. 1944.

Was it the Will of aunt Elizabeth BOLTON, d. 1952, age 86 (b. ~ 1866), and married late in life -

BDM VIC marr
1926 / 6610   ORD Elizth Dthy    m.  BOLTON Thos

The Age 23 Dec 1952 p11
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/23219245?

What was the Will that caused the family problem?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
.......born in 1876 (fits) and works as what I think to be a parlourmaid in Hawthorn and surrounds - she marries in 1907 a David Henry McLeod and goes on to have five more children before her death in 1947

Sarah

The only correlation I can find is that Alexander Nicol was a soldier in the early 1900s. He was part of the Number 2 company (garrison) that went to Tassie. So, perhaps he was a cadet and I have found a Miss Cornish who attended a cadets military ball in the July of 1889 - when she would have fallen pregnant  ??? :-[

In my experience it is unusual for parlourmaids to attend cadet military balls.

I am finding it difficult to connect Nellie CORNISH to this baby.
In 1900, at least a dozen women gave birth to girls whose name was Ivy.
Why have you selected Nellie as the "likely"?

In 1903, Nellie was at the home of a distinguished family in Hawthorn, J. Redford CORR and wife Isabella. Perhaps she was an employee.  She is described as "Home duties"

Alexander, you say was in Tasmania in the early 1900's.

It's not working for me ???

I think you have too many speculative extensions on the facts of this puzzle.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
The child could simply be Margaret's and she didnt register the birth to save face with been a widow.

OR maybe contact the VIC bmd and see when the records where transcribed if Maisie's got missed.

I learnt a long time ago not to put all my faith in family stories, they get extra twists and turns in them as they work their way down generations.

Offline SarVicNeil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 May 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
"I cannot believe that Maisie would have gone her whole life not being told by SIX older siblings!"

How do you know that Maisie was unaware that Alexander NICHOL was not her father?. It is very difficult to confirm a negative.

- When my grandmother found this out (Maisies daughter) it sent her into a state of illness. She was extremely close to her mother and she have never confided this information. This was supported, yes by assumption, by a cousin who is related

If the will of Margaret NICHOL, d. 1944, produced resentment about Maisie's place in this family, do you mean that this was the first that Maisie knew about her origins?
-No this was the will of Mary Louisa Gibb who died in 1934

Where was this family living 1900 - ~ 1915, years of formal education for Maisie and the NICHOLS siblings?. You might be able to access school records to find her.

- That family moved sometimes twice a year - I have found Alice and Geoff at Caulfield State in 1900 but that is all I have found

Do you have any photos of Maisie and of the NICHOL family to see if there is any family resemblance?

- I have a lot of photos of Maisie and enough of the Nicol girls to note Maisie was 5 ft or so and stout, the Nicol girls were tall and thin

Can you direct me to the 1921 electoral listing for Maisie......address, electorate...exact name.

- apologies - it is 1922 and she is at 10 Thomson street

If Maisie is born 15 Apr 1900, she would enrol to vote ...early 1921. Just an observation, but I wonder if that enrolment would be recorded and processed for inclusion in printed listing for the same year?. 

At age 28, Maisie is two years older than husband William George GALE at marriage, 1928.
- There was an even bigger age gap - he was born in the December of 1903
There was a tale that he fibbed occasionally to make the gap closer

It might be worth considering that Maisie is older than 28, and cut a few years off her age so as to reduce difference in age to husband.  Human vanity, but you see it quite often in the days when you did not need to show proof of identity.
- I have considered this and still found nothing

What was the estate of Margaret NICHOL, d. 1944?.  Have you seen this will?.
- Yes - it was the house and not a great deal of money. Maisie and her brother Geoff were executors.

What is the source for the birth date, 15 Apr 1900, for Maisie?
This is when she always celebrated

I have come to the conclusion of Nellie because the birthday is the same, the middle name is that of the birth name.
Just because Nellie was a parlourmaid in 1903 doesn't mean she didn't turn to that profession after the scandal of pregnancy

Alexander was in Queenscliff at 1901 and then at some stage before 1905 went to Hobart

The will of the family squabble was Phyllis Olive Wood who died in NSW in 1988. She was 7 years older than Maisie. Maisie had already passed, as had George, however Phyl's will was written BEFORE George died. Therefore it left him 5% - it was then queried as to where it would go.
Probate is not available as yet when I have requested it. When George's son said it should be divided between himself and his sister their cousins disagreed and responded with telling them they shouldn't be getting anything given they weren't even related.....

Giblet - I have thought this about whether Maisie was the products of a dalliance. Margaret had a lot to lose at doing this as a registered infant life nurse - possibly a jail term for not registering a birth.
She was also relatively strict - her father was a Plymouth Brethren Evangelist (just to throw another one in the ring!), her brother, Harrison Ord Chief of Factories

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 May 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Alexander Nicol Jr - is he the man who in 1911 was arrested for not paying maintenance? Discharged, to pay 15/ a week and find also a surety of £125. This man was b. 1882 Victoria, and married at the time of his arrest. The case was held at St. Kilda Court.
(Find him here: https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/justice-crime-and-law/register-male-and-female-prisoners-1855-1947 )
One small newspaper reference:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11630345?searchTerm=%22Alexander%20Nicol%22&searchLimits=l-decade=191

I can't find much more about this - but when and where was your Alexander married? Was this related to a marriage or could it possibly be related to maintenance for a child?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 May 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
The fact that Maisie's daughter did not know that her mother Maisie was not the daughter of Alexander NICHOL does not mean that Maisie herself did not know.

You have identified the Will of Phyllis Olive WOOD, d. 1988, as the event that disclosed Maisie's place in the NICHOLS.

Are you saying that the Will of Mary Louisa Gibb d. 1934 was also a source of information about Maisie?.

How old is Maisie in the photos you have of her?