Author Topic: Sarah Moorhouse of Thurlstone  (Read 821 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Moorhouse of Thurlstone
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am searching for any birth/baptism records of my g/g/g grandmother Sarah Moorhouse who was born about 1803/04 in Thurlstone.
I came across a birth and baptism record for Sarah and it shows that it took place at the Independent Netherfield Church, Thurlsone birth 27/11/1803 and baptism 2/3/1804. Parents were William and Amelia  and I wondered if that was her as one of Sarah's daughters was named Amelia. But Sarah's banns and marriage to Charles Berry took place at St John the Baptist, Penistone on 4/3/1832 and it reads she was from the same Parish. Sarah died on 17/11/1861at Kirkwood Farm and was buried on the 22/11/1861 1861 and her burial record is also St John the Baptist.
 Would anyone be able to help or know what religion was the Independent Netherfield Church and if someone was baptised there could they also be of the same Parish for St John the Baptist in Penistone? ( Sorry if question sounds dumb but I am not sure if of same Parish means they lived in that area or belonged to that church )
The 3  census records I have for Sarah show place of birth either Yorkshire, Penistone and Thurlstone. Charles Berry was a farmer and occupier and managed at one time two farms, "Castle Farm" and "Kirkwood Farm" and in his later years "Shepherd's Castle Farm" before his death in 1882. All farms were in the Penistone district.
 Thanking you kindly for any help.
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Moorhouse of Thurlstone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 06:48 BST (UK) »
A very quick google search gives. e.g.

'http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/3e49468a-9481-4a37-8cae-b9fa0852ba48'

'http://www.penpictorial.co.uk/misc_relig.htm'

One can be baptised in one place and move to live in another place, if necessary.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
The term "of this parish", or "of the parish of . . . " simply refers to where the person was living during the time the banns were called before the wedding.

The banns have to be posted in the parish of both bride and groom, so that any objections to the marriage can be heard. This happens on 3 consecutive Sundays.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
  Kind Regards, Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston