Author Topic: Who remembers Empire Day?  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Who remembers Empire Day?
« on: Wednesday 24 May 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
May 24th .....my Dads birthday and Empire Day.Going to a small church school in Kew Surrey we would go to church in the morning and have the rest of the day off.We had our union jacks which we held with pride .My Dad being very patriotic stood up whenever he heard the National Anthem.This could even be at breakfast time if it was played on the radio for a royal birthday.Remember the anthem being played at the end of a theatre or cinema performance ....everyone stood up.
Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers Empire Day?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Before my time I think  ;D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Some replies to your post last year  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748973.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
How embarrassing ....forgot I'd mentioned this before.Probably because today has special meaning remembering my Dad
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Please don't be embarrased, you have every reason to remember the day  ;D  Enjoy your memories on this beautiful day.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
I do remember the national anthem being played at the movies. The first bar heralded an unseemly bolt for the exits. The picture houses got the message & stopped the nonsense!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
I do remember the national anthem being played at the movies. The first bar heralded an unseemly bolt for the exits. The picture houses got the message & stopped the nonsense!  ;D

Skoosh.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but to a certain generation it was not nonsense. People did stand for the national anthem, as Ringrose father did.   It was a mark of respect and national identity.
My late father in law would stand up when the anthem was played at the end of the evenings television viewing.  Who remembers that? and no programmes before lunchtime the following day. 

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 19:34 BST (UK) »

I don't mean this to sound rude, but to a certain generation it was not nonsense. People did stand for the national anthem, as Ringrose father did.   It was a mark of respect and national identity.
My late father in law would stand up when the anthem was played at the end of the evenings television viewing.  Who remembers that? and no programmes before lunchtime the following day.

Yes, I remember Empire Day and I also remember I wore "Empire Made" plimsolls. 
My husband was born 1937 and always stood to attention whenever the national anthem was played, whether in the cinema, during a televised football or rugby match, etc., or at the end of TV viewing.  I think you're probably right about the age group who remember the sacrifices made for "the realm", and as there's no conscription anymore when every soldier, sailor, airman (airwoman) on these islands worked with other British nationals, it's probable that there's no close affinity these days.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
As a Girl Guide there was usually a big parade to attend somewhere not far away with other youth organizations attending.
Here in Canada it is called Victoria Day, and it is a holiday on the Monday closest to May 24th.
All concerts etc have the national anthem played still - but at the beginning of the event not the end. And everyone stands and many sing along.