Author Topic: Army  (Read 470 times)

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army
« on: Thursday 25 May 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please my gd.father on his enlistment in WW1 stated that he had been in
Territorial Scots horse [18mtns] and Special tramway reinforcements
I have written to a the War museum in Canberra and to the Army Records office with no help
I have also googled with no luck
Can someone tell me what these 2 areas  are please or has anyone heard of them
thankyou

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Assuming he served with the British Army, then here is what the first one probably was http://www.1914-1918.net/scottishhorse.htm
The second is not straightforward.  Tramways (which were small gauge railways constructed behind the line to bring up supplies and ammunition) were looked after by a number of different organisations such as the Royal Engineers, http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-corps-of-royal-engineers-in-the-first-world-war/army-tramways-companies-of-the-royal-engineers/ but the Labour Corps and the pioneer battalions of the infantry were also involved..  Can you post his name and any other detail you have (place of birth.age etc).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD this is what i just found .....George Sinclair 1793[A] b 31 dec 1892 Aberdeen Scotland
He was given an A after his service number as there was another George Sinclair served 7th Light Horse and 10 FAB 39th Battery .....discharged 1919
Special Tramway Reinforcements was  in 1915 and 1917 He had a number of enlistment papers and his WW1 are located with his WW2 papers [dunno why]
does this info help???

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
A first scouring of the records at the National Archives and two subscription sites has drawn a blank in finding any record of him or even his service number, with or without an A!!

I've just clicked to the realisation that using a suffix A was related to Australian Army service numbers so 1793A was his number in the Australian Army - no good looking for it in Brit records!   I should have looked more closely at the other Sinclair who was in two Aus regiments!!  I'll start on the Aus records now.

Need to look at the paperwork you have! I've sent you a PM.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia