Author Topic: LWT Wm Linas 1541 short but in LATIN  (Read 503 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LWT Wm Linas 1541 short but in LATIN
« on: Friday 26 May 17 06:28 BST (UK) »
This is a fairly short LWT, but all in Latin. If I can get some translation help, especially in relation to names and potential relations, that would be most appreciated.
Thank you,
Louise is California

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LWT Wm Linas 1541 short but in LATIN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
In the name of God Amen the 24th day of March in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and 40 and in the 32nd year of the reign of King Henry VIII. I William Linus of Muresom in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland in the county of York do ordain my will in this manner. First I commend my soul to almighty God, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the churchyard with my mortuary, according to the custom of the church. Item I give and bequeath 20 shillings to the presbytery to celebrate (mass or divine service) for my soul and for all my deceased friends. Item I will that my hay-wagon and all its appurtenances shall remain at home and not be separated. The residue of all my goods, my debts having been paid, I give in equal portions to Elisabeth my wife and James my son, whom I make my executors, and as supervisors John my son and the said James my son, on account of which I give to each of them 5 shillings. These being witnesses, Master Richard Whitbie, curate, Thomas Ynglidewe, Robert Hudson. And afterwards certification was made by the said dean for the approval of the said will, and administration was granted of the goods of the same to the executors named in the same will, having been sworn etc.

24 March 1540/41
James could be Jacob
Ynglidewe is presumably Ingledew

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Re: LWT Wm Linas 1541 short but in LATIN
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks Bookbox. It is James (not the Jacob form) and this is quite helpful as it confirms later generations as being in our line of interest. This was an interesting read with some language a bit different than the later ones. Your help is so invaluable and so much appreciated.

Louise

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
The Latin word that I translated above as 'hay-wagon' is plaustrum. Looking further, I see that it can be any sort of wagon for carrying heavy loads, normally with 2 wheels rather than 4, and drawn by labouring animals such as oxen. So not just for hay.

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that clarification. Hay or otherwise, old William must have been pretty fond of his wagon so specify it so in his will!!