Author Topic: Maddison's of Unthank Hall in Stanhope  (Read 2556 times)

Offline LordVader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddison's of Unthank Hall in Stanhope
« on: Friday 26 May 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anybody else has come across an inconsistency in the pedigree of Maddison of Unthank Hall.

In question is Peter Maddison heir of Rowland Maddison and older brother to Lionel Maddison of Newcastle.

There is a Peter Maddyson noted of Unthank Hall in 1530 having arms granted or confirmed "Surtees Society, Vol. 41 entitled "Tonge's Visitation of the Northern  Counties 1530" (1) p xvii "Elizabethan Roll of Northern Heraldry: Peter Maddyson of Unthank, gentleman: argent, a chevron engrailed (sic) between three martlets sable"."

Another arms is noted probably 1575 as it seems to correspond to a certified tree subscription of Peter Madison, Awkland in 1575 "quarterlyfirst and forth, ar. on a chev. betw, three martlets sa. as many mullets or, for Marley; second, ar. three bars gu. within a bordeure sa.; third sa. A fleur-de-lis ar. - Crest a dexter hand ppr. sleeve erm nois, grasping a battle axe sa."

The certification is interesting as it looks to be the submitted family tree of Peter's family line, but while it notes son Ralph, I cannot see how this would be possible as Ralph would not have been alive at this time placing the "certified submission" into doubt or likely it did not originally include as much information as later shown. This is supported by the inquisition post morten of Peter Maddison of Unthanke naming sole heir Ralph who was aged 35 in 1622, making Ralph's birth circa 1587, well and truely after 1575 when the apparent tree was submitted. So I doubt the submission of Peter Maddison included his children and grandchildren which must have been added at a later date.

According to the 1530 visitation Peter Maddyson of Unthank noted a gentleman would have been an adult or close making a birth circa 1510 likely. It does not seem as plausible this Peter was the father of Ralph born circa 1587 at the age of 77+.

From this it would seem to have been two successive Peter Maddisons of Unthank Hall then it passed to Ralph.

Other people may have come across this. I am looking into the Maddison's of Hamsterley being related to the Peters of Unthank Hall as there is a close Blackett family tie to both Peter's daughter Elianor and two Maddison's of Hamsterley. Thomas and Peter (probably brothers) who each married a Blackett.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline LordVader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maddison's of Unthank Hall in Stanhope
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anybody else has come across an inconsistency in the pedigree of Maddison of Unthank Hall.

In question is Peter Maddison heir of Rowland Maddison and older brother to Lionel Maddison of Newcastle.

There is a Peter Maddyson noted of Unthank Hall in 1530 having arms granted or confirmed "Surtees Society, Vol. 41 entitled "Tonge's Visitation of the Northern  Counties 1530" (1) p xvii "Elizabethan Roll of Northern Heraldry: Peter Maddyson of Unthank, gentleman: argent, a chevron engrailed (sic) between three martlets sable"."

Another arms is noted probably 1575 as it seems to correspond to a certified tree subscription of Peter Madison, Awkland in 1575 "quarterlyfirst and forth, ar. on a chev. betw, three martlets sa. as many mullets or, for Marley; second, ar. three bars gu. within a bordeure sa.; third sa. A fleur-de-lis ar. - Crest a dexter hand ppr. sleeve erm nois, grasping a battle axe sa."

The certification is interesting as it looks to be the submitted family tree of Peter's family line, but while it notes son Ralph, I cannot see how this would be possible as Ralph would not have been alive at this time placing the "certified submission" into doubt or likely it did not originally include as much information as later shown. This is supported by the inquisition post morten of Peter Maddison of Unthanke naming sole heir Ralph who was aged 35 in 1622, making Ralph's birth circa 1587, well and truely after 1575 when the apparent tree was submitted. So I doubt the submission of Peter Maddison included his children and grandchildren which must have been added at a later date.

According to the 1530 visitation Peter Maddyson of Unthank noted a gentleman would have been an adult or close making a birth circa 1510 likely. It does not seem as plausible this Peter was the father of Ralph born circa 1587 at the age of 77+.

From this it would seem to have been two successive Peter Maddisons of Unthank Hall then it passed to Ralph.

Other people may have come across this. I am looking into the Maddison's of Hamsterley being related to the Peters of Unthank Hall as there is a close Blackett family tie to both Peter's daughter Elianor and two Maddison's of Hamsterley. Thomas and Peter (probably brothers) who each married a Blackett.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Update and Answer: further research has shown the 1530 visitation to have been edited at a later date and both Peter’s are the same with arms issues circa 1575.