Author Topic: PCC "Sentence" in Latin - can anybody help please?  (Read 885 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
PCC "Sentence" in Latin - can anybody help please?
« on: Sunday 28 May 17 02:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please with a synopsis about what this part of Sentence actually says?  I know it refers to Edith Glide als Cusse and Prudence Cusse als Barrett but I'm struggling to pick out much else with my limited knowledge of Latin and the handwriting is making it difficult (if it was in English I'd have no problem reading the hand writing from the period, just only have very limited knowledge of Latin).

The full "sentence" can be view on Ancestry here - William Cusse of Marston, Wiltshire 1618 - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k62/.

I've attached a screen shot of part of the document below.

I'd like to know the gist of what it says to work out which William Cusse it refers to as there were two buried in South Marston in 1616, both refered to as Senior, but only one Sarum Will from that year (which I've not seen yet) and the index doesn't give the full date.

Don't need any information on Edith Glide als Cusse, I know who she was, and I think Prudence Cusse als Barrett may have been William's widow and remarried in Eisey in 1617.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PCC "Sentence" in Latin - can anybody help please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
The dispute is between Edith Glide otherwise Cusse and Prudence Cusse otherwise Barrett. Prudence is the widow of William Cusse of Marston and the administrator of his estate. The case is not about the will but about the inventory and accounts that have been presented in court. After thorough examination of all the submissions and evidence, the judge has determined that the accounts are defective and has issued a ‘condemnatory’ Sentence: out of William’s personal estate of £309, Prudence must pay £70 to Edith, as well as Edith’s legal expenses in bringing the case to court. The relevant tax is to be paid separately into court. The Sentence was issued on Wednesday 17 February 1618/1619.

I can do a fuller version if you want it, but about 90% of the text is common form, and there is nothing else of genealogical value.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Bookbox, much appreciated.  Its a shame that the document doesn't say what relationship Edith was to William.  Edith's husband's Will from 1612 mentions a brother in law Thomas Cusse and his son John, but no other siblings.

I'm surprised that as a Sentence exists, there isn't a PCC Will from 1616 when two William Cusses were buried in South Marston.  There is a Sarum Diocese Will so I suppose it could have been referred to a higher court as a result of the dispute?

Thanks again.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
There is a Sarum Diocese Will so I suppose it could have been referred to a higher court as a result of the dispute?
I guess that’s possible. But there is no mention in the PCC Sentence of a will or an executor. Instead, the dispute may have arisen over a grant of administration made in the PCC, without a will.

The William Cusse who was buried on 2 September probably did leave a will, since the burial record refers to a bequest to the parish poor. Presumably a copy of the 1616 Sarum will would help sort it out.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, hadn't really thought about the fact it could be a PCC Administration.  Unfortunately, turns out it was. :-X  Just been having a trawl through the British Record Society Index on FindMyPast, the one where they are PDFs and the index search doesn't work very well.  Managed to find the correct page eventually.  The entry says "Cusse, Wm, Marston, Wilts to Prudence C, rel (by decree) 1616".  Not sure whether there is an significance for the "by decree" but its annoying that he died intestate.

Oh well, bit more digging about required.

Thanks for your help, at least its solved that little mystery.

I agree the 1616 Sarum Will would appear to be for the second William Cusse Senior burial in 1616, I think he will be the son of Edmund Cusse, who died in 1591, but the Will could I suppose mention other relatives.