Author Topic: death  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
death
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have a death cert for an ancestor who died 1863.

Agnes Baird died 30/3/1863 age 1y 4mths, cause of death....Teething.

was this a common cause  as I have never heard of Teething being a cause for death.

Rosie ::) :-\

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose it was actual teething that really caused it, rather than some complication of teething, though I don't have enough medical knowledge to guess what that might be. Some sort of infection, perhaps?

In early certificates the cause of death can be quite imprecise, for example 'old age' rather than specifically 'heart failure' or some other specific cause that would be specified now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I have a four year old who died in 1864 with the cause of death given as "dentition, remittent fever, hydrocephalus".  Like you, I too wondered how teething could lead to death.  I suppose the child got an infection which led to complications but I don't really know.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
I too have seen many "Teething" deaths - especially in the older burial records.  I suppose in the days of little medical help, babies who were "teething" (apart from all the other childhood ills which had no cure - measles, whooping cough etc) - could easily have fevers - which also could cause childhood convulsions and seizures.... No wonder infant mortality was so high!  Hopefully the current issues with resistence to antibiotics doesn't get to the stage that these sort of "everyday" illness once again could be deadly?  What a thought!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I also have about three children in one family with teething as cause of death.

Here is an old thread about teething which might help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=35459.0

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you All for your responses to my teething issue .
 I have looked at the links which were very interesting and informative and although I'm not any clearer to knowing whether it was convulsions or infections caused by teething , I do have a better understanding of the conditions arising from teething that could have caused her death.

Thanks again

Rosie   :)