Author Topic: Quinn's of Loughlinisland  (Read 1735 times)

Offline rptmaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quinn's of Loughlinisland
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have traced my grandfathers family from County Antrim to Rossconor, Loughlinisland.

My great grandfather was William Bernard Quinn who moved from Rossconor to Waterfoot, Glenariffe sometime between 1911 and 1926. There was another William Quinn around the same time in Rossconor according to the 1911 census but William Bernard Quinn had a sister called Monica and my grandfather has mentioned an aunt called Mona, so I am assuming that I have the right William Quinn.

His parents were Hugh and Caroline Quinn née Rice of Rossconor.
Hugh's parents were William and Amelia Quinn née Fitzpatrick.

Caroline Quinn is proving difficult to trace, the only birth record for a Caroline Rice that I have been able to find in the year that matches her age in the 1901 census is for a Caroline Rice in Tipperary.

If anyone has any information on where it would be possible to find Parish records in Rossconor or any cemetery that they might be buried in, or any related information, please may I ask if you could please respond.

Best Wishes,

Ryan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quinn's of Loughlinisland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
If the family were Catholic you'll find many parish records here-
http://registers.nli.ie/

You can look at the Valuation Revision Books to see approx. when the family moved (covers from printed version of Griffith's Valuation (mid-1800s) until c1930)-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/searching-valuation-revision-books

This William Quinn, with son William Bernard, is in Castlenavan townland (Rossconor is the DED- District Electoral Division) so that's the townland you need to search in the revision books.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Rossconor/Castlenavan/235155

Same Quinn family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Rossconnor/Castlenavan/1225893
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Caroline Quinn is proving difficult to trace, the only birth record for a Caroline Rice that I have been able to find in the year that matches her age in the 1901 census is for a Caroline Rice in Tipperary.

Registration of births started in 1864 and if Caroline was born before that date there will be no birth certificate.

I can't see a marriage anywhere in Ireland for a Hugh Quinn to anyone named Caroline. Wonder if they married somewhere like Scotland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Blackwood Collection in Belfast
Two Quinn family trees exist, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast. Reggie Blackwood was associated strongly with Castlenavan.  so part of the references might refer to your Hugh. Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
QUIN      vol 14p175 Newry,  unlikely to be your line
QUINN      vol 34, vol 91
Hoping this is includes new information for you
good luck, Jim
ps However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.
The Blackwood collection includes important other items about Castlenavan and Loughinisland

Essentialsources
below from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Q/QuinnAJ.htm
which has about 50 references for Quin/Quinn of Loughinisland  about 30% contain further source being Loughinisland Catholic Church

examples
Henry   QUIN   .   Kilmore & Loughinisland   of Kilmore parish; married Aly Magee 16 Nov 1817 at Loughinisland Catholic Church   PR
Hugh   QUINN   .   Loughinisland   married Sarah Burns of Artana 5 Feb 1817 at Loughinisland Catholic Church   PR
Hugh   QUINN   .   Loughinisland   of Drumcaw; leased a house & 1 7 acres in 1863 from David S. Ker   GV
Hugh   QUINN   .   Loughinisland   of Castlenavan, leased a house from Moses Thompson in 1863   GV
Hugh Willie   QUINN   .   Loughinisland   member of the Loughinisland Hurling team in 1916; photo available   DS 2010 p35

Ros also has other church records parish map and acolic parish maps etc
Griffiths Valuation gives useful citations for rossconor
Rossconor      Down   Kinelarty         Kilmore      Rossconor
Rossconor      Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Main street      Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Downpatrick street   Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Downpatrick st   Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Castle street      Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Hawthorn's row   Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
Dromore street   Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor
QUINN    OWEN    DOWN     DRUMBALLYRONEY       
Hawthorn's row   Down   Iveagh, upper (lower half)   Drumballyroney   Rossconor

Griffiths Valuation
QUIN   JOHN      DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND
QUIN   BERNARD   DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND   
QUINN    HUGH      DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND Drunmcaw map ref 28 17 acres       
QUINN    DAVID   DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND       
QUINN    JOHN      DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND       
QUINN HUGH      DOWN   LOUGHINISLAND
1863 see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
castlenavan map ref 7....b house 15 sh pa  the one and only in Castlenavan     New Line Road Junction with Rocky Lane

google maps this view shows two old gate posts see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3332139,-5.8413063,3a,75y,136.84h,74.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su60HoueRTGCErr56XbLITw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656    

final remark on Griffiths valuation are the continuation pages in several books that come up from 1863 to about 1921for Castlenavan in PRONI and online

Church records
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf
R.C. Loughinisland (Down and Connor diocese)
Baptisms, 1806-52; marriages and deaths, 1805-52. ref MIC1D/73

the  1901 Census 16 in Castlenavan (Rossconnor, Down)
and 1911 census 5 in Castlenavan (Rossconnor, Down) lists Monica

showing the Quinn family  marriage was 24 years previous of Castlenavan    sadly no parents etc named

Downpatrick museum might well be useful
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide