Author Topic: George BLAND of Lancaster & Trinidad 1820s  (Read 6479 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: George BLAND of Lancaster & Trinidad 1820s
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 June 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for caring, I am better but still not 100 per cent.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm and all

I'm adding this attachment for Malcolm as it is something he would like to see.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am sending this message to the three wonderfully generous researchers who helped me with my decades old brick wall back in 2017.  If you are still interested in this thread, I now think that I may have found the breakthrough that I sought and, to be honest, my hopes that this is the case is largely because of help which you gave me back then!

My new-found optimism is based entirely on circumstantial evidence but this is quite substantial & compelling!  However, I am more than well aware of the dangers of believing what I want to believe, suspending critical evaluation & ignoring niggling doubts!

I am not sure how to do it but I would very much like to sent you my findings in a ‘Word’ document or, at the very least, include some pictures in a continuation of the original thread.  Meanwhile, this is the basis of the new theory which I have spent some time pursuing!
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FGBPRS%2FYORKSHIRE%2F13-0743-GB-YOR-PARISH-REGISTERS-PR-BNA-1-2-1537-1900%2F00078&parentid=GBPRS%2FYORKSHIRE%2FBAP%2F600018045
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
   Nicholas CARLISLE (how does he fit into these families?), wrote his 'History' of the Bland family in 1826, for his friend Michael BLAND (who was he?) but the registers he quotes were transcribed for him by the vicar of Sedbergh and contained nothing after 1728!

Might Michael Bland have been Miles? Just a suggestion. This the first time I've read the thread.
Cowban

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 August 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your post, Maiden Stone, I do appreciate it.

I have a copy of Nicholas Carlisle's book & it contains just one reference to Trinidad but that is too early for my present purposes.

That part of my research took place many years ago and I cannot perfectly answer all your questions from memory.  It seems very likely that Nicholas Carlisle is related to Ann Carlisle who married George Bland (of Trinidad) in 1817 in Lancaster.  Miles Bland was the officiating minister and George Bland was Miles' brother.  Miles Bland had an interesting (and not altogether blameless) life & is to be found in the National Biographical Dictionary. 

I have long thought that as my William Bland married Elizabeth Sugden in Otley just 5 months before George Bland married Ann Carlisle 65 miles away in Lancaster, that William might have met George while he was in England and been persuaded to take his whole family on the long voyage to Trinidad where an opportunity existed for great financial rewards.  As it happened, William's younger son was very ill and William sailed alone to Trinidad, where he died. 

That still features in my thoughts but I am almost certain that 'my' William was born at Bolton Bridge near Bolton Abbey and baptised in Bolton Abbey in 1797.  As Bolton Abbey had Dade Registers at that time William's parents & grandparents are in the baptism register! :)

Kind regards,

Malcolm
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 15 August 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
Please please tell us what the register says ;D

I dont have access.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 17 August 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Baptism of ‘possibly’ my William Bland who died in Trinidad!!  (My 30 year-long Brick Wall!)

'Dade' baptism entry for Bolton Abbey.
William Bland son of William Bland
Of Bolton Bridge Cotton Spinner
Son of William Bland of Addingham
Wool Comber by Sarah Daur: of
Thomas Atkinson of Addingham
Farmr -. And Jane Daur: of
Edmund Cort of Beamish Hall
Farmr by Sarah Dau: of           Howson
of         Born Decbr 31st Baptd Jan 22 96

'My' William Bland was a millwright so I like the fact that this one's father and grandfather were operatives in the textile industry.  Bolton Bridge is only 2½ miles from Addingham, where there are many BLAND Mill Owners and operators and, significantly, ‘my’ William’s mother is Jane CORT who lives only a couple of hundred yards from Bolton Bridge and, therefore, her son John CORT, who was a witness at William’s marriage to Elizabeth SUGDEN in Otley in 1816, is this William’s cousin and they both live in a tiny settlement of fewer than about 100 souls. 

Also, from the Dade baptism record, Sarah BLAND who was baptised in Addingham is definitely ‘my’ William’s sister and a William BLAND with very similar writing was a witness for her marriage just two years after William’s and also in Otley which is 11½ miles from Bolton Bridge & 9 miles from Addingham.

This is purely circumstantial evidence and I may be guilty of making the facts fit my theory, but what do others think?  Any comments very welcome!

Malcolm

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 August 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
It all looks very plausible to me :)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 19 August 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
Had a look at baptisms for Edmund Cort and Sarah's children and wondered about their son John

1851 he is with brother Edmund and sister Margaret Knowles, she marries Samuel 1814... but not the same signature for John Cort witness compared to William Bland's witness John Cort I think

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP9V-VX4

1841 John and a Sarah aged 90

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQPW-W49

John dies 1857 and there is a will but not online

Have you looked at any Bland's in Otley? Have just put in a quick search but have to nip out

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o8a/

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives