Author Topic: Hughes-McDonnaugh Marriage in Liverpool 1830s  (Read 1126 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes-McDonnaugh Marriage in Liverpool 1830s
« on: Tuesday 06 June 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help find the marriage of Peter Hughes (born c1813 in Liverpool) and Julia McDonnaugh (born c1811 in Dublin)?  They seem to have had children in 1835 (Peter), 1838 (Peter), Thomas (1841) and Peter (1844).  The last two have been verified from birth certificates; the first two are from baptisms at St Anthony's RC, Liverpool.  The St Anthony online records have been useful for the earlier baptisms and burials.

The 1841 birth certificate (Thomas, born 27th August) gives the home address as Arley Street in Liverpool, an area of slum-like courts, but I've been unable to find the family listed for Arley Street in the 1841 Census.

Peter Hughes died in c1848, but Julia lived on until 1885, and has been traced in the later censuses.  It is the early-mid 1830s marriage that eludes me.  Any help will be welcome.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes-McDonnaugh Marriage in Liverpool 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, as the Census is compiled in April and Thomas was born in August, they may not have been in Arley Street at the time of the census.
Are you a member of a site that you can see the census records?
Search for just Peter and Julia Hughes in 1841 and you may find them in another area.
I can't find the marriage either.
Maggsie

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
I went through the 1841 Census line by line for the Arley Street area when visiting Liverpool and was disappointed to see that they weren't there (or at least not recorded as being so).  I realise now that I've not found the 1838 birth entry for Peter, on GRO (I got those details from familysearch.org):  if I find that entry I can order the certificate and see what address that has.

Many thanks for taking an interest.

BB

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census date was actually 6 June (anniversary today!) though subsequent ones were March/April.

I see that on the burial of the son Peter (aged 3, 21 Dec 1841) the family's address was again Arley St.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Probably Peter's Birth Registration?

December qtr 1837
Liverpool Registration District     vol 20, page 181

Hughes, Peter
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - this Peter is different and I've found him with his parents in 1841.

Thanks for both recent posts - much appreciated even if we're not yet demolishing the brick wall.  Incidentally, I've just double-checked GRO births for 1838 and Peter Hughes isn't recorded.

BB

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
There is a Julia McDonough born 1813 Ireland on the 1841 Census living at Arley Street also James McDonough born 1805 Ireland and Peter McDonough born 1838 Lancashire.

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Ellenmai

This one was a teaser when I found it when going through the census return, but I concluded it was not the family I wanted.  The Hughes-McDonaugh family would, I'm sure, have been under his name.  From later census material and her death certificate, my Julia was a little older than this Julia.

However, I did wonder if this family might have been related to my Julia, i.e. that James might have been my Julia's brother and the other Julia her sister-in-law.  I tried to test this out but got nowhere.  It would possibly explain why the Hughes family moved into Arley Street (or the McDonoughs might have followed the Hughes family there).

Thanks for the help

BB

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - this Peter is different and I've found him with his parents in 1841.

Thanks for both recent posts - much appreciated even if we're not yet demolishing the brick wall. 

Incidentally, I've just double-checked GRO births for 1838 and Peter Hughes isn't recorded.

If registered would have thought it would be in June qtr. but I can't see one either  ???

From his baptism Peter Hughes born 1 May 1838   bp 13 May 1838 St Anthony's   
parents Peter Hughes, Julia McDonagh

What was the occupation of the father Peter Hughes?

Have you found Peter bn1838 death entry? - perhaps that would give the same address as a birth certificate

Edit: - there's this burial
Peter Hughes 21 mths, smallpox Burial 18 Jun 1837 Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father:   Peter  Mother:   Julia Mcdonagh
Residence:- Gildurts Gardens
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk