Author Topic: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hi

I wonder if anyone has access to Durham parish records.. I have a Joseph Soppett/Soppitt born about 1750. I have his marriage in 1776 in Ebchester to a Barbara Crook but I cannot find his baptism. On his marriage he says he is from Shotley...and some of his children are baptised here but I have not found him there... I have found earlier Soppets in Whickam and I'm kind of hoping he links into them as there are not many Soppets (in their various spellings around). I have looked at Durham records online and he's not on their records.

Many Thanks, Vicky
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
It doesnt mean he was born Shotley though.
I noticed a JOHN Soppitt was a Witness to the 1776 Marriage.
(FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Ebchester, Shotley or Whickham?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
No, I know....but as I'm out of ideas where he could be baptised I thought I would mention the Shotley link as well..... V
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
All I was trying to say was John may be a Father or Brother of Joseph.

A PRISCILLA Soppitt married John CAWTHORN, Feb 1788, St Elba, Ebchester.
She was of Shotley Parish also..
No witnesses are noted on Marriage.
Marriage Bond on F/S has her as age 27

This Marriage is recorded as taking place 13 Feb 1788, St Andrew and St John, Shotley, Northumberland.

Shotley Baptisms do not appear to be on-line as I am sure you know.
Hopefully someone going to the Records Office can help you.

Here are all the Soppitt Marriages in Shotley
1670-1837
(may be a help to you in the future)

16 Jun 1736  Matthew Soppit = Mary Angus
28 Jul 1776  Joseph Soppit = Barbara Crock
9 May 1779  Matthew Soppit = Jane Egglestone
13 Feb 1788  John Cawthorn = Priscilla Soppit

Source Georhe Bell Collection from this Site;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Shotley/ChurchRecords

A MATTHEW Soppit was buried 13 Sept 1788 Shotley (FreeREG)

Good luck with your research :)

EDIT;
I see JOSEPH/BARBARA Baptised a Son Matthew 1780.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
There is a will of William SOPPIT of Shotley Grove Benfieldside parish of Lanchester 1822. He mentions wife Mary, and brothers Joseph & Matthew as well as sister Percilla (sic). John CAWTHORN was an executor. Perhaps William, Joseph etc are the descendants of Matthew & Mary?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SD3-Z7R?cc=2358715

Mary ANGUS who married Matthew SOPPETT in 1736 may have been the daughter of Jonathan & Priscilla according to one online tree.  9 May 1711  Jonathan Angus married Priscilla Angus Bywell St Andrew NBL

Perhaps they were non conformists and children of Matthew & Mary were not christened?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you both of you... hmm the Matthew/Mary Soppett as parents does look hopeful.... I will have to contact the archives for Shotley baptisms... is Shotley still Durham or does it fall into Northumberland? ..sorry a southerner here so I'm not sure about how the boundaries changed between the two counties. V

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Northumberland. You could try browsing the Bishop's Transcripts on Familysearch. (I have had a quick look myself but cannot see the baptisms for the children of Joseph and Barbara - perhaps you will fare better). Also if you look for Shotley in the Familysearch catalogue it shows that you can access the actual parish records at a Familysearch Centre.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks William, I will have a look at northumberland.... and where my local familysearch centre is... V

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
VIcky, may I just add a note of caution about place-names? (Apologies if you already know this).

As William has said, Shotley is in Northumberland. It is a large rural parish with only scattered farms and houses. There is no centre of population. Here is a link to the Bishops transcripts which William mentioned, you can browse page by page https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-67XB-ZJ?wc=9K59-166%3A13617901%2C30449802%2C30449803&cc=1309819

However, not far south, only just in County Durham, and not to be confused with Shotley (Northumberland), are the small town of Shotley Bridge and the little settlement of Shotley Grove. Until 1840 these were in the County Durham Parish of Lanchester.

You need to be careful to differentiate between these places  :)

.. I will have to contact the archives for Shotley baptisms... is Shotley still Durham

Shotley baptisms can be seen in the link I gave earlier. Shotley has never been in County Durham. It has always been in Northumberland.