Author Topic: Programmes for writing your family history. completed many thanks  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alfred & Elizabeth HUDSON
    • View Profile
Programmes for writing your family history. completed many thanks
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I would like to write my family history, I am thinking it might be a lot easier with a computer programme.  because i just look at my computer screen not knowing how to start.

i have all my info in a date line. but no body to the stories.

Has anyone got a favourite programme they use.

many thanks
cheers  Ann

Warwickshire: Husselbee, Willetts, Simpson, Hudson, Worwood, Weston, Moss
Worcester, Willetts
Cambridgeshire: Bartlam, Simpson, Graves, Radford.
Staffordshire: Weston, Bartlam, Worwood, Roberts
Wales: Roberts, (jones Ha Ha )
Lancashire and New foundland: Walmsley.
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.
New Zealand: O'Hanrahan, Walmsley, Trapani ,Lemon. Pascoe
Australia: NSW: Lemon

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Programmes for writing your family history.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
I just use WORD.

Start with four documents one for each of your grandparents - type their surname as a title.

Then start telling their story .
(I find it easiest to write things up in note form on paper first, then transfer to WORD)

after all, on a computer you can keep changing things if you don't like what you've written!
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you  yes i should do that..    i just look at the computer and start researching and not writing,  i do have lots info and stories , its getting it in some sort of order.   brain dead.
many thanks  Ann
Worcester, Willetts
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 01:54 BST (UK) »
I think it depends a lot on what kind of history you want to write. Writing anything is always easiest if you start with a 'structure' of headings, sub-headings, etc. If it's mainly names, dates, facts, notes and media per person, couple or family group you want to write about then one of the family tree programmes will give you a ready-made structure for this. They're good for organising your family tree data and they also include different ways of viewing or printing the 'data'. These programmes are less suitable for stories spanning multiple generations or branches of one family.
Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
Another good way to start, if you don't know where to start  :P  :P is to write as if you are writing a letter to a friend or family member, telling them about what you've found, what you think they'd like to know, etc.
You can write a series of short 'stories' this way and then put them together later in whatever way you want.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
I would like to write my family history, I am thinking it might be a lot easier with a computer programme.  because i just look at my computer screen not knowing how to start.

i have all my info in a date line. but no body to the stories.

Has anyone got a favourite programme they use.

Hi Ann,

As Mike has said, it does depend on what you want to write/create?

I would recommend FTM (not a download version) but a disc version which you can install on any/many computers.

You can store/save all your names/dates of BMDs/Census' & any other info. to it.

It can be transferred to word & you can edit anything to your own liking as well as incorporating certs, pics, newspaper cuttings.....anything!!! in any order you need it or wherever on the doc. you want it.

It has a facility for making a Book/books with all your info.
There's so much you can do with it to your own needs.

It may look expensive to buy but it will be your best purchase ever which will pay for itself with all the different info. you can have at the click of a mouse!!!

I wouldn't be without it as there are so many different things you can do with it.

Before I bought FTM, I did mine on Excel (for my tree) & word for the additions (certs/pics) etc. & combined them (very, very time consuming) but there's no comparison with FTM.

My own thoughts & from my own experience  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
As some others have suggested, just open Word and write as if you're telling the story of your ancestor to a family member and you may be surprised at how the story pretty much writes itself from then on.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
 Just to show you what I do, here’s a snippet of a distant branch of ours, edited a bit . . it’s not finished . . I never found more about some of them, (and I’ve edited out some bits that I do know) it looks a bit untidy, as the copy/paste has lost some of the formatting.

Brady

John Brady, a builder, lived in Portland Place from 1858-1866. His daughters were married from Portland Place. We don't know where he was for some time after that, ( though he's supposed to have been in Kingstown in 1870 )

MaryAnne(=Mary Anne bapt Nov 1831 in St Michan's?) married John Keogh of Whitworth Place on 3 July 1861 - Nicholas Brady was a witness. I only found one child, John Patrick b 1865 Mar 11. This could be Jack Keogh, who used to send money for the Brophy children to go to a panto at Christmas in 1920s.

John Brady was the eldest son. He married Agnes Dunn of Mayor St in April 1861.  They had at least three children
MaryAnne bapt. ProCathedral Jan 1962 . . living in Amiens St.
Bridget bapt. Jan 1864 St Agatha . . living in Campbell’s Place.
EdwardPatrick b. March1866 . . b. in N.Anne St. but John was living in Campbell’s Row?
John Brady is described as a Carpenter on Edward's Birth Cert and on his Death cert. John died in Foster Avenue (Phibsboro?? or Summerhill??) in June 1874 aged 38 - the cert says he was married, but the newspaper doesn't mention this.

Sarah  and others

(other stuff)

William Brady and Agnes Brady were sponsors for John Patrick Keogh in 1865.
A Catherine Brady died 1856 aged 4.
Bridget Brady died in Oct 1864,
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
wow thank you everyone, I always know this is the place to turn when I go brain dead,  i do have many many pages written in word,,  but have to say over the years, changing computer, stuff seems to be all over the place.
Yes didn't want a to pay for a programme that only does my history , I want to do a story from 1500 to today.
then the photo books you can get, is more for pic not so much lots of stories..
i did find "the family history writing studio" which looks good.  and I also found "Scrivener" which i might look into, it just might help me sort out my mess.

Many many thanks.  ann
Worcester, Willetts