Author Topic: Burton Smith, Royal Navy beginning 1907 - scar on cheek?  (Read 550 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burton Smith, Royal Navy beginning 1907 - scar on cheek?
« on: Saturday 10 June 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hello people,

I'm not trying to trace this ancestor but I want to query a statement made on his service record.

His service record says he had a scar on his right cheek, yet a photo of him in Navy uniform shows no scar on his face. Either he acquired a scar later in his Navy service, or the scar that he had at enlistment healed perfectly or is so small it can't be seen in the photo. For the second option to be possible, the physical description on his service record would have to have been modified after enlistment. Did this ever happen? My interpretation is that a physical description on a service record is the man's appearance on the day he enlisted and was not modified after that.

Thanks
-DC

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burton Smith, Royal Navy beginning 1907 - scar on cheek?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Scars fade with time, they may be apparent at a medical examination, yet not show up in a photograph.

My late husband had a small scar on his face from a childhood accident, it is noted on his military records yet doesn't show up in any photograph, but anyone meeting him face to face may well have noticed a very fine line.

I have  a twelve inch scar from surgery on my torso, it is now so faded that even I have to look hard to see it,

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burton Smith, Royal Navy beginning 1907 - scar on cheek?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
I suspected this was the case. and so your stories give me all the confidence I need to accept this as a conclusion. Thanks.

-DC