Author Topic: Thomas Allen  (Read 863 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Allen
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me find the marriage and/or christening of my ancestor Thomas Allen.

Thomas was married to Elizabeth and they had the following children (that I know of):

Elizabeth christened 16 Dec 1739 -Ebony

Sarah christened August 1741 - Stone near Appledore

William christened 5 Jul 1742 Pluckley

Farley christened 6 Dec 1747 Pluckley

Farley married William Chambers in Faversham in 1768 and these are my ancestors.

Elizabeth's maiden name might have been Farley based on the fact that it is an unusual first name. However it might also have been taken from a previous generation.

If anyone has any suggestions or can help me with these Allens it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Allen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Sorry to be a killjoy but the transcription, that I have, records the baptism of Farley Allen, at Pluckley, as follows

1747 Dec 6 Farly ALLEN d/o Elizabeth a baseborn child

Not sure where this will take you.

Tony :(

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Allen
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Sorry to be a killjoy but the transcription, that I have, records the baptism of Farley Allen, at Pluckley, as follows

1747 Dec 6 Farly ALLEN d/o Elizabeth a baseborn child

Not sure where this will take you.

Tony :(

Hiya Tony

Now that's interesting and explains why I was getting nowhere with the Allen line. Interestingly my info on Farley Allen simply gives the date of christening (6 December 1747 at Pluckley) and her mother's name - Elizabeth. This comes from Familysearch which doesn't indicate if Farley was baseborn at all.

The odd thing is that there is another child born in 1742 and this time the father is named as Thomas. This reads:

William Allen
Christening: 5 July 1742 Pluckley, Kent
Father: Thomas
Mother: Farley

As mentioned before there are two other Allen girls christened before this: Elizabeth (christened December 1739) and Sarah (christened August 1741)

Obviously there is a five year gaps between William Allen's birth and that of Farley and I wonder if perhaps Thomas died whilst Elizabeth was pregnant, or if she had the child by someone else!

Is there anyway of finding out who Farley Allen's father was? It is an unusual first name.

Do you have any idea when Elizabeth was born or know anything else about her?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Matt