Author Topic: Elizabeth Farbrass  (Read 975 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Farbrass
« on: Monday 12 June 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can someone check for a christening for Elizabeth Farbrass in Chartham c1758 please?

Elizabeth married my ancestor John Beaney and I have her dying in Chartham in 1824 aged 66. However so far I haven't found any Elizabeths born c1758. The only Elizabeth I have found was born in 1747.

I suspect that the Elizabeth I have found is mine but if someone can double check to make sure there's no Elizabeth born c1758 it would be great.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Farbrass
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Here comes trouble, again.

I don't think 1747 is a possibility.  Having looked at the child-bearing life of Elizabeth Beaney, her last confinement was in 1804, when her age would have been about 57!

Children as found
Anne 1784, Chartham
Thomas and John (both 1785) Chartham
William 1786, Chartham
Elizabeth 1788, Chilham
Mildred 1790, Chilham
Catherine, 1792, Chilham
John 1793, Chilham
Edmund (or Edward) 1796, Chilham
Thomas 1797, Chilham
Susannah 1799, Chilham
Robert 1802, Chilham
Thomas 1804, Chilham

There is a more feasible birth at Harbledown in 1764 however, this does not match the age as given at death.

Here are the baptism details, as found on Family Search,

1764 Mar 9 Elizabeth FARBRASS d/o William & Elizabeth

Sorry for giving you more to think about.

Tony ???

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Here comes trouble, again.

I don't think 1747 is a possibility.  Having looked at the child-bearing life of Elizabeth Beaney, her last confinement was in 1804, when her age would have been about 57!

Children as found
Anne 1784, Chartham
Thomas and John (both 1785) Chartham
William 1786, Chartham
Elizabeth 1788, Chilham
Mildred 1790, Chilham
Catherine, 1792, Chilham
John 1793, Chilham
Edmund (or Edward) 1796, Chilham
Thomas 1797, Chilham
Susannah 1799, Chilham
Robert 1802, Chilham
Thomas 1804, Chilham

There is a more feasible birth at Harbledown in 1764 however, this does not match the age as given at death.

Here are the baptism details, as found on Family Search,

1764 Mar 9 Elizabeth FARBRASS d/o William & Elizabeth

Sorry for giving you more to think about.

Tony ???

Hi Tony

That certainly confuses things a bit. I know that the Elizabeth Farbrass I've got born in Chartham in 1747 is the only one I've found myself. She has been in my files for a couple of years but I've only recently looked into it again as I'm having to redraw the Farbrass tree.

Mildred Beaney (1790) is my direct ancestor via her marriage to Henry Wiles in Chilham in 1810. She died in 1865.

I had thought it odd that she was having her last child at the age of 57 but in years of searching I haven't found any sign of any Elizabeth born in Chartham in about 1758.

The 1764 date would make more sense with the dates of the children and would certainly fit better with the marriage date. My only question here is how far is Harbledown from Chartham, are they close?

I've just had a look through file of original records [ie photocopies of entries in PRs etc] and I don't have a copy of John and Elizabeth's marriage which seems odd. I have a note in my files which states the marriage is recorded on Ancestry. I am sure the marriage entry stated that Elizabeth was 'of Chartham' but now I will have to go back and double check. As I said I haven't looked at the Farbrass line for a while and it's only because I'm redrawing the tree now that I'm taking another look lol!

Obviously if the Elizabeth Farbrass born in Harbledown is my Elizabeth then you're right that the burial of Elizabeth Beany in 1824 wouldn't fit. Do you know if there is another burial for an Elizabeth Beaney in Chilham that might fit better with the 1764 christening?

Anyhow I'll stop there as this gives me a few things to work on whilst I'm at the library tomorrow.

Many thanks for the thoughts and help with this. It's certainly given me something to think about.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Harbledown and Chartham are neighbouring Parishes.  My Sandys migrated from Chartham to Harbledown in the 1700s.  Chilham is on the other side of Chartham from Harbledown.

I cannot find any other burials, for Elizabeth Beaney at Chilham, that could be yours.  I shall leave it to you to contemplate the possibility of an error of entry in the Register!  I wonder if there might be a headstone in the churchyard?

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Harbledown and Chartham are neighbouring Parishes.  My Sandys migrated from Chartham to Harbledown in the 1700s.  Chilham is on the other side of Chartham from Harbledown.

I cannot find any other burials, for Elizabeth Beaney at Chilham, that could be yours.  I shall leave it to you to contemplate the possibility of an error of entry in the Register!  I wonder if there might be a headstone in the churchyard?

Tony

Hi Tony

I managed to find Harbledown on my Kent parish map last night and as you say it is right next to Chartham. I actually thought it was further away.

Anyhow I've been to the library today and done some more digging into this. Like you I haven't found any other suitable burial for an Elizabeth Beaney in Chilham at all. Also I don't think I've found John's burial but I'll double check.

With regards to the possibility of a headstone I visited Chilham churchyard several years ago and don't recall seeing one for Elizabeth Beaney. However I did photograph those headstones that might be of use to me so I'll have a check.

Whilst at the library I double checked the marriage entry on FindMyPast. According to the transcript of the Banns and the transcript of the marriage both John and Elizabeth were "of Chartham" so if Elizabeth wasn't born there then her family probably moved there. Both the record of Banns and the marriage entry are from the Archdeaconry records. From memory Elizabeth was described as a spinster so we can discount the possibility of her being a widow when they married.

I'll send u a copy of the marriage entry later to see what you think.

What is certain is that Elizabeth was born and did die. If no other burial for Elizabeth BEANEY can be found, perhaps John died and she remarried? That would explain a few things.

Anyhow that's all for now.

Matt