Author Topic: Thomas PLUNKETT  (Read 2578 times)

Offline nyteowl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas PLUNKETT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 June 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi nyteowl,
   Here is a thread about what to do about blanks on NSW historic marriage certificates by MAJM.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.msg4001771#msg4001771

Essentially it says that not all information was passed on from the clergy to the BDM registry and that you should contact the church archives for the missing info (such as parents' names).

This is the contact for the Uniting Church archives (which includes Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches).  http://www.utc.edu.au/campus/synod-archives/

Ros

This is great Thankyou Ros :-)
Copeman
McCooey
Phillips
Ricketts
Plunkett
Ballantyne
Bartle

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Which church was Thomas married in?  He wasn't Catholic?

Debra  :)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
There are several pages of useful suggestions in there Debra which I think includes Anglican and Catholic marriages.   From memory (?!) the first step is to contact the church itself.

I just gave the link for the Uniting Church archives because I believe that either the link or the address for that had changed recently (and caused some discussion on another thread a while ago).

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
There are also early church records available at NSW RO on microfiche.   They  are not allowed to be copied/photographed but can be transcribed. 

If nyteowl tells me the church and the exact date I'll have a quick look when next I'm there.

Ros

The above records are organised by denomination and within that by location and within that by church and then by date.   So not a useful resource unless you know the exact church and date (or have days to spend searching  :) ).

Not sure what the date limits are ... perhaps they are only very early church records ... ???
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline nyteowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 June 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
As far as I know, Thomas PLUNKETT was born Apr 24 1852, Castlereagh NSW.

I found this article on Trove about his death,
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101314927?searchTerm=thomas%20plunkett&searchLimits=

If you do have time to check the records for me, that would be great, I am not sure on religion etc
Many Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

Best Regards
Joann
Copeman
McCooey
Phillips
Ricketts
Plunkett
Ballantyne
Bartle

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
Joann, have a look at Thomas' marriage certificate, who was the officiating Minister?

In order to follow up with the church register you have to know the religion.

If you take some time to look at mentions of the family's marriages, deaths and funerals on Trove you will see that by then they were Catholic.

The NSW State Library and Society of Aus Genealogists have microfilm of Church and parish registers:

St Nicholas' Myra, Penrith, Marriages 23 Apr 1871-30 Jan 1899 (Catholic)

St Stephen the Martyr, Penrith, Marriages 27 Apr 1869-10 May 1899 (Anglican)

The NSW Registry has indexed all the baptisms from the pre 1856 church records that they have had access to.  There is no doubt that some were missed in the indexing process so in looking at their microfilm you would be checking for a missed record.  To do this, you have to know the religion.  Details from the supplementary registers are only available from the Registry, they are not part of the microfilm set.  Have a read through the guide:

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

Debra  :)

Offline nyteowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 June 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi , Thanks for suggestions everyone,
I have just received the marriage and death certificate for Thomas Plunkett, but neither contains parents names or birthplace, just blank squares.
I don't know if there is a Baptism / Christian certificate, that will be my next search. However as I haven't found a birth certificate, I think my chances are very slim.
Copeman
McCooey
Phillips
Ricketts
Plunkett
Ballantyne
Bartle