Author Topic: Adelaide Clough born 1830-1832 and William Edward Ridsdale born 1829-1830  (Read 1752 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Clough born 1830-1832 and William Edward Ridsdale born 1829-1830
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Oh I do love a handed-down letter!

I think in the 1853 one what Stephen is saying is "a great many people inquires after you how you get on...".

As to the marriage licence issue - it looks as though the couple decided for whatever reason to get a second one within a few days of the first, either because they no longer wished to marry at Rudston or because Mary Ann wanted her correct maiden name stated.  Presumably you don't yet know whether she had ever married Adelaide's father Mr Clough?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
That would make much more sense, thanks!  I have a number of letters and they have been a gold mine of information , but there remains many sections where I have no idea what is being said.  I don't want to hijack this thread so I might start another one on this matter.

Regarding the two marriage registrations:  Well, that would make sense, but one of the two clearly lists the spouse's last name as "Clough". 
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuUM38feBVRNDNoIi

That would be a strange error to make, no? Or a last minute change of heart?  ;)

while the other one is clearly marked as Mary Ann Coulson https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuUJIM7RvJpwfPMnr 

There are also conflicting year of birth for Stephen Pinder, one being 1810 the other 1805 .

I love a mystery :)

edit: I just re-read your reply and realized you were suggesting perhaps Mary Ann Coulson was married to a mr. Clough. Ah.. Never thought of that .  That might be hard to find .. time to get digging  :)

Offline pgilkes1982

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 August 19 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

My name is Patrick Gilkes and my grandmother was Margaret Ridsdale, descendant of William Ridsdale and Adelaide Clough.  I noticed the links to the letters you have in your possession, that you posted on the Adelaide Clough thread.  The link is no longer available and wondering if you could re post them or send me copies if possible?  My email is (*)

Thanks a bunch,
Patrick

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php