Author Topic: Bertram Ellis 1910  (Read 2340 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bertram Ellis 1910
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
      Many thanks for all these contributions.
      I am afraid the Charles Ellis who married Elizabeth Ruffell are not the parents of my Bertram.
(He was not with any family members on that ship, although that is not conclusive)
      My Bertram Joseph was born in Derby in c.1889 s/o Alfred Joseph Ellis & Agnes nee Cartwright  In the 1901 UK census he was living in Swindon, Wiltshire aged 11.(For interest. It has been suggested that Bertram was named after T.H. Bertram who was one of Isambard Kingdom Brunel's senior staff in the G.W.Railway works in Swindon where Alfred Joseph worked. Is I.K.B. known in Australia?)
      The newspaper cutting is interesting and this could be my Bertram.
T

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
I can't see any Ellis deaths with those parents in Qld.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
My Bertram's parents were in the UK for the 1911 census. I have no reason to believe they ever went to Australia. T

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
I wasn't thinking they did. I meant that there is no record of a child of theirs dying in Qld. You will see from the records we posted that parents names are shown for deaths.

No marriage for your Bertram either.

Maybe he chose not to stay.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
In 1910 on the Perthshire, there were three Ellis', Bertram, Elizabeth age 23 and Thomas age 18. They were 'Nominated Immigrants'.

Jamjar

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census shows that Agnes had had only 1 child. She was 42 at that time.
I think that any other Ellis' on board were unconnected.
I agree that Bertram may have returned to England and will have to wait until the 1921 census is released to find out. Meanwhile, I have found no evidence of a Bertram Ellis death in the UK.
T

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
This looks like your Bertram's death in Bristol:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVC8-414G

What evidence do you have that your Bertram was ever in Australia? I think the 1910 Bertram and other records from newspapers in Australia seem far more likely to be the son of Charles and Lizzie (happens to be about the same age of yours) who we know went to Queensland and died there.

If you want to find out more information you can order a copy of the 1910 immigration record from Queensland:
https://www.qld.gov.au/dsiti/qsa/search/
 - find him here in "Nominated immigrants 1908-1922", press the plus to see full info, then press "order online". Doesn't seem easy to find out the exact cost.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 June 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
A search of the 1939 Register free index shows a Bertram Joseph Ellis, born 1889, living in Sodbury R.D., Gloucestershire.  Also in the same household is Lilian B Harvey.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to post full details of the 1939 Register so you will have to view the record yourself.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose & Jool for getting me back on track. Disappointing that he was not the passenger to Townsville. My inability to find a UK death and an entry in the 1911 census made me feel I was going in the right direction. Win some. Lose some! Toby.