Author Topic: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Myrtle took to using her middle name?  There seems to be a few Amelia Sharps in & out of the workhouse after 1897 and the reference to Mile End brings some possibilities, although a few years out on age.

An Amelia Sharp aged 20 is noted on the Tower Hamlets records as admitted 25 Apr 1902 and discharged 30 Sep 1912 - chargeable transfer to Mile End.  There is also a Removal Order record dated 1 Oct 1912 for an Amelia Sharp aged 30 who is noted as a lunatic.  At the time of the order she was in Horton Asylum (Surrey) but her parish/union of settlement was Mile End.   

An article in the St James's Gazette dated 16 October 1901 refers to the attempted suicide of woman who identified herself as Amelia Sharp aged 19, who I assume to be the same person. The 1911 census shows her as single but gives no PoB, although her lunacy admission dated 23 Oct 1901 gives her age as 23 (b1878) but states born Hoxton   :-\ 

I think the Amelia with the illegitimate daughter Nelly born c1901 is a different person as she is shown as aged 28 in 1901 and seems to continue to go in & out of the workhouse during the time the younger Amelia (above) was apparently a permanent resident at Horton Asylum.  I think this Amelia had the settlement exam in 1899.

There is also an Amelia Sharp born c1880 admitted & discharged at Saint Olave's Workhouse in 1909, but I think this may be a different person again as she had a sister, Agnes, living in Edinburgh.

Myrtle certainly is a mystery!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie
The additional stuff, such as it is!, comes from the unindexed London poor law records on ancestry
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

If you use the little boxes on the right hand side of the page, under Browse this collection
i.e. select
Borough - Tower Hamlets
Parish or Poor Law Union - Stepney
Record Type - Admission and Discharge

and scroll down to
Mile End Infirmary: Admission and Discharge Book, 1897-1898
Image 29 is admission of Myrtle Sharp on 21 Feb
maybe Myrtle's birth will be noted on the 23rd, haven't looked
Image 76 has their discharge

I started with Tower Hamlets/Stepney/Religious Creed
Mile End Infirmary: Creed Register, 1892-1898
Image 187

What set me looking was London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
Name: Sharp
Estimated Birth Date: 23 Feb 1897
Mother's name: Myrtle Sharp
Parish or Poor Law Union: Stepney

Similarly, you can look at Lewisham records.
John

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much John.

Westy