Author Topic: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924  (Read 2535 times)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924
« on: Tuesday 20 June 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for info re James Anderson b.1867 Scotland-d.1940 and wife Orpha Ann nee Enslow b.1869 Illinois USA-d.1947. Had a son Robert b.1888. James & Orpha Ann buried Mountain View Cemetery. James had a brother John Anderson b.1862 Scotland-d.1925 Norwood, South Australia. Family is travelling to Vancouver soon and would like more detail re the James Anderson family. Where would I be able to look for an obituary on-line? Several other trees on Ancestry have incorrect connections re the James Anderson family. I am researching for a friend, and have verified my research with purchases of certificates as necessary, so have confirmed the brothers connection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 04:11 BST (UK) »
7242 James ANDERSON of Vancouver died there on 27 Dec 1940 at age 72 + 8 + 27. Born in Scotland on 30 March 1868, s/o John ANDERSON, b. Scotland & not known. Separated, retired police chief, infm - wife, Mrs. O.A. Anderson of Vancouver, buried at Mt. View, cause of death - fell down the front steps of the Commercial Hotel and hit his head on the pavement

Source: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/bc1940d.htm (I think this is just info transcribed from his death reg.)

A couple of things found on google, one has his picture:

http://vpdpipeband.ca/announcement/1914-formation-of-the-band/

https://pasttensevancouver.wordpress.com/2011/02/

The Vancouver Police Museum and/or the Vancouver City Archives might have info as well.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Haven't been able to find the obituaries online. Not sure how much information you have already but came across this photo-  https://www.instagram.com/p/Z8kTZtHSXB/  -from the Vancouver Police Museum - http://sinsofthecity.ca/vpm-home/

The Police Museum, along with the Vancouver City Archives, may be able to provide you with more detailed information on James Anderson. The Vancouver City Archives has newspaper clippings files and there may be a file for Anderson. There is contact information on each of the websites.

http://vancouver.ca/your-government/city-of-vancouver-archives.aspx

I'll keep looking, ********just saw bbart's post but thought I'd add this as well.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both... have been out all day and only just returned home,, so wonderful to have some additional info. I had seen the photo and the Police Museum detail with some other articles but only just found the death this morning and so the additional info re cause of death and marital status was very useful. I will check this all out later today and pass on the detail to my friend.
I really appreciate the assistance I have received. Thankyou.
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Before you pass your info on to your friend, you might want to remove that son Robert you mentioned.
The police chief James married Orpha Enslow in Ottawa, Ontario on 24 Dec 1895 (from their marriage registration).
Robert Anderson, born 10 Jul 1888 was born in Dundas, Ontario to farmer John A. Anderson and Orpha nee Guernsey. (from Roberts birth registration).

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks bbart. I took that info from the 1901 Canada Census, with John Anderson, father, James Anderson, m. Orpha A, wife, son Robert, so that makes that link incorrect and will change my records accordingly. This is a new region of research for me (being Australian and chasing mostly British, Scottish people). With a name like Orpha I did not think there would be a problem, but have come across another couple of these names, so have been trying to double-check things, as one should, and aware that there may be a glitch, especially as I have found incorrect links with the children of the original couple in Scotland, and so have purchased all the detail for each child, just to make sure I have the correct children for John Anderson and Margaret Alexander who were parents of John (Australia) and James. I am assuming then, that James and Orpha Ann did not have children and were in fact, separated, at least at the time of his death, and the fact that Orpha was involved as an informant at James' death, I am assuming that there were no other family members available. My friend, I think, was hoping to find family members, but may have to be happy with a visit to the Police Museum in Vancouver!
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
The weird thing is, that 1901 census you found certainly looks like the right people, especially with Orpha listed as being born in Illinois, but when you try to track the son, everything goes wrong!

I'll poke around a bit more, but for now, just leave a little red flag on Robert!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
Update:  The 1901 census is your people, but there is an error in the math for Robert. It states he is 14, and born in 1888.  If he was born in 1888, he would only be 3, so that is wrong.  More importantly, the census states he was born in Illinois, as was Orpha.  It looks like she already had son Robert before marrying James, so not in the bloodline you are following of James.

(Yes, I realize my math is wrong!)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks bbart.. I was a little confused by it all, but if it is my interest, then James father has arrived in Canada, so that may help with death of wife in Scotland perhaps... it did all seem to fit, but then I had come across the other Orpha Ann! Will keep it and 'red flag' it, as you suggest...
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia