Author Topic: LDS Memorials  (Read 1979 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LDS Memorials
« on: Wednesday 21 June 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
OK.. I know how to look up the LDS stuff, get Book No, Entry No, Page No but when I get there it is often not there.

I can work through the Entry Numbers but I get to Entry 3995, then 3997, what happened to 3996? or 3998 and 3999 in the example below??  The Memorial I'm looking for is seldom where one would think it is!!

Yes, I can go through all the 524 Scans to find the Memorial I'm looking for... just wondering if anyone else has similar problems.

I'm looking for Memorial, not a Will....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Memorials
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi hallmark. These are a fantastic resource and we are so lucky familysearch has put them onto their website for FREE!!! I was stoke as I live in Australia and didn't have ready access to the memorials. However I have now used them quite a bit.

I found them to be a bit tricky at first, but from what I recall each film of the actual memorials can have more than one lot on it. You need to look on the film for 'title pages' that indicate what years memorials you are looking at. If the number you want appears to be missing then you must be looking at memorials for a different year that appear on the same film. I found zooming out so you can view many pages at one time can help you find the beginning of the memorial set. Hope this helps. If not, let me know, and I will go in and copy some links to show you what I am talking about. Katharine 
 :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 17 07:28 BST (UK) »
Yes some have 2 books or more, I can look at Grantor's Index etc and get the Book No etc.. go to the film but like in the example shown the Entry No's have gaps like 3997 then the next is 4000 and I wanted 3998.

The Film No is correct, Year correct..... yes I view the film by multi page slides to see how many book are on the Film, plus read the notes slide. I had 4 to look at, found 3 but not this one!

I just flip through the Film....

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
If you wants to give me the details of one you can't find, I can have a look and see if I can work it out.  :)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Want not wants   ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Want not wants   ;D

You're fine... was just wondering about the gaps! Besides I'm nosey and often come across "things of interest"...  ;D

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
It could be that the one you want is sitting at the back of the year as late additions. I had noticed the gaps in running numbers but assume there must be a reason for such gaps. :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
it will be somewhere...  i just go to multipage and zoom in until I have 2 slides, then browse through so entry number will be somewhere.

It the gaps I was wondering about too.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Off topic I know - but I'm not familiar with LDS memorials. Can you please tell me what they are, who they are for & which period they are likely to cover?

Thanks, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON