Author Topic: John Thomas Key  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas Key
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on John Thomas Key who was a publican in the Hill Top area of Dipton, County Durham at least between 1900-1912.  His place of birth is given as Lanchester (1901 Census) and South Moor (1911 Census).  His wife's name was Hannah and he had at least 5children: Mary, John Thomas jnr, Edward, Dorothy and Hannah.  There is some connection with families named Spring and Harrison - the latter could have married his eldest daughter.  Many thanks.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas Key
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
You haven't said what info you are looking for?

Birth reg: John Thomas Key, mmn Milburn, Mar qtr 1863 Durham (born at South Moor, per 1871 census)

Parents: (per 1871, 1881 censuses): John Thomas Key & Dorothy (Milburn, married Mar qtr 1860 Durham)

Death: 25 Oct 1930, aged 67 (registered Lanchester)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Marriage: John Thomas Key and Hannah Nicholson, Jun qtr 1888 Lanchester

Children:

Mary Key mmn Nicholson, Sep qtr 1888 Lanchester (marr Joseph Harrison, Sep qtr 1909 Lanchester)
John Thomas Key mmn Nicholson, Jun qtr 1892 Lanchester
Edward Key mmn Nicholson, Jun qtr 1895 Lanchester
Dorothy Key mmn Nicholson, Mar qtr 1901 Lanchester
Hannah Key mmn Nicholson, Mar qtr 1903 Lanchester
William Key mmn Nicholson, Mar qtr 1904 Lanchester (died Mar qtr 1904)
William Key mmn Nicholson, Mar qtr 1905 Lanchester (died Sep qtr 1905)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hello avm228,

I am trying to sort out the mystery of how two families could live in the same pub with the head of each family being listed as publican of the same pub at the same time and both their entries were separate on the 1911 Census!  They were not partners in the business and the pub was too small for them to both live there.

I think I am going mad!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Are you saying there are two householders claiming to be the (resident) keeper of the Bird Inn, Hill Top?

We cannot do 1911 census lookups on here so please could you set out relevant information as to the rival innkeepers so that we can help?

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello avm228,

That is precisely what I have been away doing!  John Thomas Key and William Curry are on separate forms.  Can I show them here? 

In the case of John Thomas Key, one of the forms clearly states The Bird Inn.  In the case of William Curry it also shows the Bird Inn.  Both with registration/district/enumerator codes 550/1/18
In the 1901 Census John Thomas Key was also shown on the 1901 Census.

Your excellent efforts showed him as having more children than I had found.

There is a possible explanation that, in the cery small area known as Hill Top, there were 3 pubs of which we can exclude the Grey Horse (which is better documented) but there was also the Bird and the Board - the former spoken in a Geordie accent might well have sounded like the latter and confused the enumerator!

The family names and make up are not in doubt - just their locations!  I hope that is a bit better explanation and I really appreciate your help as I am very experienced at researching pubs but I am lost with census documents.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hello avm228,

Registration district 550 is Lanchester, sub district 1 is Tanfield which covered Hill Top at that time.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Given that the enumerator has listed both households at the Bird Inn, it isn't a question of mishearing something - the enumerator has visited the address, left forms for completion and picked them up after completion.

I would think by far the most likely explanation is that both households were there, and that the second "innkeeper" was an assistant/deputy or similar.  If the total number of rooms between the two entries is greater than is possible for the building, then presumably either one household was in a separate building on the site, or there is double counting involved.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
The Key family were reasonably well off (in fact very well off for this very poor area) they had a servant during the time the children were very young.  The  whole area was  neither wealthy enough nor big enough to support a second or assistant manager - especially when there were two other pubs all within 100 yards of each other.  Theirs was the better pub, furthest away from the area inhabited by tramps, vagrants, itinerant Irish labourers and the poorest families but still not big enough to house two families

It is maddening that the descendants have put out a request for an exchange of information but have left no contact details!  I am assuming they are local and asking around to find them.  I am hoping they are still in the area; the hamlet of Hill Top has been absorbed by the village of Dipton as have two almost adjoining villages - so there is hope.