Author Topic: James Burns, Newcastle  (Read 1850 times)

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Burns, Newcastle
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
I have been doing family history for over 20 years now and keep coming back to this side of the family but have hit such a huge brick wall, I thought I would try here.

James Burns, DOB and place unknown, married Mary ? and had my 3x gg, Susan/Susannah  in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1819 and then a son James in 1821. His occupation went from engine man to weaver. This is all I know about him. I don't know where he was born, even the country but I have a suspicion he came from Scotland or even Ireland. I can't find him on any record or census so assume he had died by 1841. His daughter is a servant in Quayside in 1841 before marrying in June of that year.

Hi son James also seems to have vanished. There is a marriage of a James Burns to Mary Lumsdon in Ponteland  in 1813 but not sure if this is mine. I can't find any children from this marriage.

How can I find anymore about him, (if at all I can). The trail has gone completely cold with him.

Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: James Burns, Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
no clues on the marriage record either I see
as the witness were both Dodd's and they seem to be present at a lot of marriages in Ponteland
24h Jan 1813,both of this parish
if this is your James there seems a big gap until their first child is born
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I really don't think it is this marriage as like you say there is a long gap between the marriage and Susan's birth. I don't even know if she is the 1st born, no clue on baptism and as far as I can see only her and William are from the marriage. This is why I think maybe they were married elsewhere.

I do hate hitting brick walls and this one is enormous.
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
what church were the children baptised in please save me searching
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 06:34 BST (UK) »
They were both baptised in Newcastle St Nicholas.

Thank you.
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Don't know for sure that this is the same James Burns born 1821 but in 1841 Census there is a James Burns born 1821, a Tanner's Apprentice living in St Andrews, Newcastle
Ref HO107/847/3/F25
The same chap, born 1822 appears in 1851, a Tanner by trade, with wife Margaret and family.
Ref HO107/2406/F284/p17

Marriage
James Burns/Margaret Forbes Dec 1843 Newcastle Upon Tyne 25 339.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
I was just looking at the same family Emeltom was and their daughter Jane Thompson Burns birth s registered Newcastle Upon Tyne mother Forbes 1858
so worth researching as a possible connection

marriage Newcastle Upon Tyne,
December 1843
James Burns and Margaret Forbes

Looks like his wife Margaret  died in Canada aged 84,17/12/1938 maiden name Forbes birth date 16th April,Husband James Burns origin England 

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
That can't be his wife who died in Canada in 1938 aged 84 as that puts her birth year at 1854, eleven years after the 1843 marriage and 4 years before the daughter's birth.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Bad maths from me there Emeltom ::)