Author Topic: Need help with family letter  (Read 4789 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with family letter
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Postscripts for my previous post:

1 Isaiah Burdass
 Yorkshire Gazette 10 Jun 1854
On Tuesday the 6th inst., at Thwing, near Bridlington, after a severe suffering, aged 70, Mr I. Burdass, farmer.

His first name was Isaiah, as seen from his 1815 marriage notice:
Hull Packet 17 Jan 1815
On Monday, at Thwing, by the Rev. T. Bowes, Mr. Isaiah Burdass, farmer to Marie, daughter of the late Mr.S. Bennison.  (Note: the recipient of the letter, Mary Ann Pinder, nee Coulson, named a son Bennison.)

2 Old term for kidney stones.

3 Mary Ann Barough.  Daughter of Isaiah and Marie Burdass

4 A wild guess: spent the morning

5farther, in the context given, could refer to her late pregnancy time?

6 Joseph Johnston Barough. It looks like Stephen is combining his name to be Johness, perhaps that is what people called him.  Joseph is married to the " Mrs Barugh" referred to in 3 Mary Ann Barough.

7Eliza Dixon in 1851 census a "visitor" with Isaiah Burdass family, in 1861 a "visitor" with Joseph Johnston Barough family, listed as unmarried farmers daughter. 

8 Charleston is the name of the farm of Joseph and Mary Ann Barough, located in Boynton, midway between Bridlington and Rudston.

9 Does referring to "Aunt" Hutchinson, years before daughter Agnes married into the Hutchinson family lead to the possibilty that Agnes married a cousin, Coulter Hutchinson?  This would explain his first name as being Coulson.

10  Today we would say "fair to middlin" in respect to health.

11 Far too many Simpson families in the area to even make a guess.

12 George Nicholson, married to Selina, was a bootmaker born in Flambro' around 1819. Could this be the brother of Robert Nicholson, first husband of Agnes nee Coulson?

13 Possibly Mary Rawson, wife of farm labourer Richard Rawson, of North Back Lane (The other letter had a Mrs. Burdass on South Back Lane)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 June 17 03:28 BST (UK) »
Excellent work bbart!  :)

I agree that the letter deciphering should stay on this thread, and any additional facts about people mentioned in the letters are bonuses and it is fine if that all stays here.

I probably didn't explain very well, but where I think a new thread is warranted is if, for example, Stephen wanted to find out more about Stephen Coulson, the author of the letter  - perhaps he would like help finding him in a census or finding a marriage, or his baptism and parent's names* .... In this case a new thread could be started on the appropriate board, linking to this thread.

I hope that makes sense.  :)

* this scenario used only as an example as you may already have all of this information.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 June 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
No worries, Ruskie!  I understood what you meant, and I agree, but I was already part way through all the postscripts, so decided to post it all.

I wish I had old letters from my ancestors; they obviously preferred to hide behind brick walls so future descendants could never find them.  ::)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 June 17 04:00 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Ruskie on starting a new thread where extra info. may be of interest.

I believe that a 'google' search of anyone named from the transcription of those letters on this thread will not show up?

I believe topics on TOT & Recognition/Deciphering boards don't show up on google?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 June 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
I cannot begin to express how thankful I am for all the incredible hard work everyone, particularly Bbart, has put into these letters. I actually feel a bit awkward about the whole thing. It's a lot of work!

And here is the thing: we have gone over three letters to date, if I am not mistaken (1853, 1854, 1860). The are more letters however. All have had an initial transcription, and some require none, but nevertheless, it's a fair amount of work. Here is a breakdown:
1863 - 4 pages, Letter from ? Bridlington, England   
to: "Dear Cousin"
1865 - 4 pages, Letter from Hannah Nicholson? Bridlington, England       
to: "Dear Aunt" (Probably Mary Ann Coulson Pinder) missing pages?
1867 - Receipt, 1 page from John C Pinder to Stephen Pinder (payment of land purchased?)
1873 - 5 pages Bennison Pinder to John C Pinder
1876 - 2 pages Bennison Pinder to John C Pinder
1877 - 1 page - Marriage confirmation John C Pinder to Mary Higgins
1896 - 1 page Cemetery receipt
Misc; 1 letter from ? Nicholson to ??  Not dated. missing pages. plus a few envelopes

So the question is: Does anyone want to continue this endeavor? If not, I completely understand.  If on the other had you would, how would it be best to do so..?
- continue posting in this thread?
This will undoubtedly will create leads to people, or clarify certain facts .. should those leads, clarifications, etc be put/cross referenced into an existing thread, a new thread, or just left in this one?
Access to the letters: Should I continue putting my transcriptions here and a link to the letters as we go, or simply give a link to the whole lot to person(s)?  The latter would restrict access and the ability to contribute.
Also, would it assist anyone if I gave them guest permission to my family tree in Ancestry.ca? It might help rather than starting from scratch in certain areas.

Please feel free to voice your thoughts on the matter.

best regards,

Stephen

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 July 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
I entered Stephen Coulson Bridlington into google, and this thread came up on the first page of results, so there is no worry that people can't find it that way.

Anyways, my thoughts are that if you want to post the letters that you can't decipher on your own, you should keep them in this thread, so unreadable words or names can be compared to what we already know.  ( An example of what I mean is names such as Burdass, stumped us at first, but now that we know the name, it became readable in the other letters).

If you do go ahead and post them, I promise to keep my replies to deciphering only!  I think that is what caused the issue here.  I can always pm you if I find anything of interest outside of the scope of this forum. 

Once you gather up all the info you can on the people in these letters, you may want to expand your research on individuals on the Yorkshire board with a reference back to this thread.

Anyways, that's my two cents, and if you are in Canada, Happy 150th!

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 July 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, 150 yrs . Was here for our 100th as well. I think we had better weather then. It's been a rainy, humid affair the whole weekend.

Per your suggestion, I will continue to post within this thread. I'm thinking once they are all up, they might paint a clearer picture and anwser some questions as well.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 July 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
The 1863 Letter.
From, uncertain, probably to Mary Ann Coulson

Letter from ? Bridlington, England       
to: "Dear Cousin"     

Transcription 

Bridlington, Oct 7th, 1863

Dear Cousin,

I think I must write this letter to you as you wish it though I don't know you however. I hope on receiving this you will get your ?? carte de visite?? If you have and get home?(?) so I ???? send me for I ???? getting  ???  ???? and of course want as many cards to put in as I can get, and do please, Aunt & Uncle & your brothers and sisters to send me theirs. I enclose my own for Aunt and

next page

tell her that it is as good a likeness(?) as can be. And how ???? I have to begin to tell you the news I don't know what to tell you that will be interesting. There have been no change in the family since we wrote, Aunt Harriet is at London with Mr. Chisholm and was quite well when last we heard from her. She desires whenever we write to America that we give her best love to Aunt and all the rest of the family. Aunt Dixon is not very well. I think at present she also desires her love to all .. and Aunt Selina is quite well but very busy as she keeps no servants and has a great deal of work. Mother is quite well. Mr. Hutchison is well, and

verso

baby is only pretty well tell aunt she is a beautiful child and I suppose when old enough will be spoiled by her father who idolizes her. She is just turned eight months old. Grandmother has quite recovered from her severe illness. She went to Flambro in March and was there nearly four months. Then she stayed a week with aunts when she was back to Bridlington then went to Thwing and stayed three months and now has been at home a week when she is at home I stay with her as it is not wisdom to leave  her alone. Then in our afternoon we both often go down ??? to Aunts. There when gra????  other is out I stay  a week or two at aunt(?) help her.

Next page

and then go a week or two to Flambo and help Mother, so that at present my mode of life is an unsettled(?) one.  The harvest here is now all in and a plentiful one it has been, but yet the farmers are grumbling because the prices are so low wheat is only a shilling a stone. This season has been a very short one for the lodging house. ???? at the Quay and other watering places though Pearlborough(?) ???? and the the Quay have been crowded ???? less??? for a short time. Now I think I must conclude with a promise that you sh??? hear ????? from England that you
have been accustomed?? to, I correspond with a great many l???, but America by me shall not be forgotten. America the word almost acts?? like magic, for now the word is associated with awful battles, tell me when you write about

Page 1
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AifC60WL0cSMuWG2c9S0FeiYDpCZ

Page 2:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHwi1WysUCJ9WaVn

Page 3:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHq1A5WEB43OZgPI

Pge 4:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHmHsgJ5P7l6heQn

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Stephen, just double checking here...
We put our interpretations of the words on the "can edit" file on the link, correct?