Author Topic: Revd. John Ford, 1729-1756[?] Houghton-le-Spring.  (Read 781 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Revd. John Ford, 1729-1756[?] Houghton-le-Spring.
« on: Tuesday 27 June 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
John Ford was from a family living near Hawkshead, then in Lancashire, now Cumbria, baptised at Hawkshead in 1729.  His father Richard's will, dated 1754, left John a legacy, but a codicil of 1756 included the phrase 'whereas my son John is since deceased' and the intended legacy was now to be split between daughters.
A family tree, probably drawn up in the Victorian era and found to be unreliable in other details, has this against John's name: 'd. 16 Oct 1756 at Houghton-le-Spring.  Curate there.'
Is anyone able to assist with confirmation of this burial please? [ADDED:  In case anyone can do at look-up at Durham Record Office, I believe the burial register for 1756 is in a volume indexed as EP/Ho5 or microfilm ref M42/164.]

There is an oddity about this man's history.  To be ordained and have the office of curate he would have had to have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge at that period.  Venn's published list of Cambridge alumni has an entry for a John Ford which matches the year of his birth and father's details, but the list of parishes where he served includes dates beyond 1756, as far as 1771, when a burial was recorded at Colwich, Staffs for a vicar of that name.
This may be an error on the part of Venn, and perhaps there were two clerical John Fords.  I am working on that aspect.

Any help will be gratefully received

Ainslie

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Revd. John Ford, 1729-1756[?] Houghton-le-Spring.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the entry for John Ford at the Clergy Database? - http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/CreatePersonFrames.jsp?PersonID=11019

The comment at the top of the page hints at some confusion. The man mentioned by Venn certainly seems to match yours, at least as far as becoming Curate of Girton, but if that's the case, why say "Prob literate, and not as suggested in VENN"?

"Literate" is a term I've come across a few times in the Clergy Database: according to the Glossary some clergy met this criterion rather than being graduates - see http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/glossary/lit/

Looking at the Places section of the database, I couldn't see anyone called Ford who was connected with Houghton-le-Spring, so no help there. I wonder if St John's College Cambridge has any archives that might help?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Revd. John Ford, 1729-1756[?] Houghton-le-Spring.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those thoughts.  I had seen the CCED entry and agree about the confusion.  I had not met 'literate' in that sense, but it could help if Venn was wrong.  The Venn entry referred to a publication 'Scott-Mayor', which the Cambridge University library have told me was a list of entrants to St John's College, so I have now sent to the college librarian for help.
I will post any developments here.
A