Author Topic: Beck / Struthers Marriage - Can anyone help  (Read 2683 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Beck / Struthers Marriage - Can anyone help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Just a little interesting fact;

Margarets Brother James;

Name James STRUTHERS
Death 7 March 1927,  Oak Park, Cook, Illinois, Burial 8 March 1927
Occp Tailor
Birth 31 May 1857, Linlithgow, Scotland
Mother Agnes GROZIER, another record has Frazier
Father James STRUTHERS
Wife MARGARET Struthers
Residence Place   1174 1/2 So Oak Park Avenue
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
I still have a shed load of credits sitting on there, so looked at the record as if you haven't seen a Scottish one you are going to be really happy with the info it gives :-)

30th June 1874, at Linlithgow, after banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland
Groom:
Matthew Beck, Joiner, single (he signed) , age 32, usual residence Wallsend, England. Father George Beck, Hind, deceased. Mother Margaret Beck, Maiden Surname Horsley(?? not too clear, you'd need to check that out)

Bride:
Margaret Struthers, Domestic Servant, single, age 27, usual residence Denistoun, Glasgow. Father James Struthers, Shoemaker, Mother Agnes Struthers, Maiden Surname Grozier

Witnesses were
Robert Muir and Dora Struthers (both signed)

Register was signed by T.B. W Niven, Minister of Linlithgow on 1st July 1874

Registrar was Alex Murray

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
and you may find this of interest too:

Linlithgowshire Gazette
08 September 1950

The descendants of John GROZIER and Mrs Margaret ALEXANDER or GROZIER who are believed to have lived in the Linlithgow district about one hundred years ago are beneficiaries in an estate. It is believed that Mr and Mrs Grozier had six children, a daughter who became Mrs Agnes STRUTHERS, who had nine children, a daughter Isabella, who became Mrs NIMMO, who had ten children, a son John and other three daughters believed to be named Margaret, Anne and Mary. WIll anyone who claims to be a descendant of Mrs Struthers or the said Jon or the said duaghters Margaret, Anne or Mary please communicate with and send full particulars to :-
GRAY, MURIHEAD & CARMICHAEL
W.S.

(for Pothecary & Barratt, Solicitors, 73-76 King William Street, London)

33 York Place, Edinburgh

Probably a tad late to stake  claim :-) but it gives some interesting family detail to be checked out.

NB re: The Mrs Margaret Alexander or Grozier part  -  Alexander is likely to have been her maiden name as historically married women in Scotland were often known and referred to  by their birth name rather than their husbands name.
Now you have discovered the free search on Scotlands People have a look and see if you can find the marriage. Its likely to be in the old parish registers as civil registration didn't start in Scotland till 1855.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
This is all fantastic, thank you all very much.

I haven't looked at Margaret's family yet as the Beck side is my line, I haven't really ventured into any Scottish records either so I have a lot of new ground to cover here.

That's for the start help Trish, that will give me a good start into building / confirming her side.

Thank you all once again.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 June 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Matthew BECK Wallsend 1841 son of George & Margaret, abode Willington NBL

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XX69-5NY?i=242&wc=9K5Q-VZ9%3A13617901%2C31548401%2C31622101&cc=1309819

Can't see a birth reg for him. Brother John reg in 1838, mmn HORSLEY

1841 census Willington stables  - George 45-49, Margaret 45-49, William 15-19, Thomas 10 , John 3, Mary 15-19 , Margaret 7. George not born in County - all others born NBL

1851 census Matthew with parents George 1793 Fatfield DUR & Margaret All Saints NCL 1795, siblings John & Margaret.

1861 Margaret a widow, born about 1795 Wallsend - on familysearch as BEEK , with Matthew.

Burial George BECK 1856 Wallsend

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XX69-5P3?i=716&wc=9K5Q-VZ9%3A13617901%2C31548401%2C31622101&cc=1309819

Marriage George BECK + Margaret HORSLEY   13 July 1817 Wallsend NBL

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6L2H-9ZF?i=115&wc=9K5S-L2S%3A13617901%2C31548401%2C31548402&cc=1309819

George could be son of George & Ann BECK of Fatfield chr Chester-le-Street DUR 30 Sept 1792

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SHW-86S?i=263&wc=9K59-6TG%3A13618101%2C16337901%2C16337902&cc=1309819

Did he firstly marry Rebecca Price in 1814 at Chester -le-Street?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SHW-3WK?i=888&wc=9K59-6TG%3A13618101%2C16337901%2C16337902&cc=1309819

There was a daughter, Isabella, born 1861 according to Durham records online

Rebecca must have died before July 1817 if so.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of that Fiddlerslass, not only for the information you have listed but also because I had no idea those books were available on line. I have seen some of them on microfilm at the library but that's much easier for me if I can search them on line.

I have used that website but just as a marriage search really, there is obviously an awful lot more information on there than I know about.

I don't know about Rebecca Price, George Beck and Ann Carson was all I knew and all I had for them was names and a year of birth. That is as far back as I've managed to get.

The rest of the names you have linked to do match the people I've found already but again you have added detail to the names I have recorded.

Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of that Fiddlerslass, not only for the information you have listed but also because I had no idea those books were available on line. I have seen some of them on microfilm at the library but that's much easier for me if I can search them on line.

The links fidderslass has given are to the Durham Bishops Transcripts.

Just a couple of words of warning  :)

They are not searchable by keyword. You must trawl through them page by page to find what you want.
Not all parishes are covered, and dates of coverage differ.
You will find very few marriages on them post-1837 (i.e. after the start of Civil Registration).

However, they are still a fantastic resources despite limitations.
Bear in mind that the Diocese of Durham included much of Northumberland until the 1880's, so they don't just cover County Durham  :D

Durham parishes http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kb7/
Northumberland parishes http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kb8/

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Correction,
 Isabella Beck bapt 1816.

Looking at Lanchester PR's at the children of George & Ann, 2 baptisms give her as dau of John CARSON of Chester-le-Street, and 1 of John of Fifeshire Scotland. George & Ann could also be the parents of Jane 1796, & Thomas 1798  chr Washington DUR. Thomas baptism gives George & Ann as natives of Lanchester.

Marriage bond Nov 28th 1789 image not available on familysearch, but from calendar George BECK - Ann CARSON married by Licence Kirk Merrington DUR. Assume the  John Carson mentioned was a bondsman. Age 21 means they could be 21 or over.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DH72-69?i=359&wc=MLVD-T36%3A165410701%2C165410702%2C165412401&cc=1840743

Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
FreeREG is also a great free in-line resource for Northumberland and Durham.

George/Margarets Childrens Baptism are there + their Marriage with Witnesses.
George Burial is there and Margarets 1867 age 74
(they also buried a Son THOMAS 1830 age 6)

Marriage;
29 Nov 1789, St John the Evangelist, Merrington, Durham
George BECK to Ann CARSON

Other Children of GEORGE/ANN on FreeREG also, Eg;
MATTHEW Beck Bapt 25 Sept 1803, All Saints, Lancaster, Durham
Parents GEORGE/ANN
Fathers Occp Hind
Abode Westhouse
5th Son*****. Father native of this Parish and mother Ann, daughter of JOHN Carson,
native of Chester le Street.

+ JOHN 1800 same Church 3rd Son
+ ANN 1802 3rd Daug same Church

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)