Author Topic: GRO Certificates v NLI Church Records  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRO Certificates v NLI Church Records
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Kilcooly is one of the Civil Parishes in the RC Parish of Gortnahoe.
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=0266&county=&church_name=Gortnahoe

Haven't found The Commons though.
There seems to be a place name at the end of the Baptism image, could it be Bawnlea, there is townland of that name in Kilcooly?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
There is place called Commons in the townland of Blackcommon in the Civil Parish of Kilcooly.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,630766,652840,9,3
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,630766,652840,9,7

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 July 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Have found some siblings of his with similar records. It's confusing lol
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 July 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
It is confusing, you have to keep in mind one is a religious record and the other is a civil record, how they name their respective areas and how they were set up is quite different.
Having a read of this may help http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-land-divisions.html  the piece on 'the Parish' in particular and the Poor Law Union/ Superintendent Registrar's District.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 July 17 17:34 BST (UK) »

...the Parish record for his baptism has him baptised 24th November 1864. Plus the cert has him in one Parish, but the baptism is in a different Parish.

No, it doesn't, it put him in Urlingford DISTRICT,  which is correct!

The Certs do not put people in Parishes, but in REG DISTRICTS.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
There is a Commons School...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 July 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Nearly all my paternal ancestors of the 1800s were baptised before they were officially born!
They were Civil Registered in the nearest big town but baptised in the nearest parish church which was in a different town.

As previously stated, trips to "town" from rural areas were not as frequent then; calendars and exact dates were also not used as much as today; then mix in a lack of literacy.
If a fine was going to be enforced the date given was always within three months of the registration regardless of when the child was born! They baptised babies almost as soon as they were born to ensure they didn't die and go to Limbo.

The civil birth cert wasn't used as frequently as now.

If there is a baptism earlier than a civil birth I believe that the earlier date to be more correct
Unless that it is more than a year - as many families had two children of the same name
If there is more than a year between the church and civil records I check again for another family member.

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
My gran-aunt told me a few weeks ago when I went to visit that baptisms were within a day of the child being born..this included her own son, whose baptism she wasn't at as she had to stay in bed  ;D
I'd be more inclined to go with a handwritten Parish record for a baptism.

Must check other records I have now lol
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut