Author Topic: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve HMS STOUR  (Read 663 times)

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve HMS STOUR
« on: Tuesday 04 July 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find any info on the STOUR which was a requisitioned trawler, I've "trawled" the internet for photos etc, but nothing.

My grandfather was the officer in command in 1940/1 and during that time won a mention in despatches which was announceed in the new years honours list and was published in the London Gazette of 1st Jan 1941. He was Acting temporary Skipper George Henry Smith T/S 531.

The problem is, I don't know why he won it. I think it may have been in relation to Dunkirk, as his daughter, my aunt, is still alive and swears, as did my deceased dad, hee'd been given an award for Dunkirk as she saw the paper when she was a kid. I've been told he was issued a MID by the Naval historical dept, and I have the Gazette copy.

Doea anyone know anything about the STOUR, have photos or know how I find the contents of the mentioned in despatches.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve HMS STOUR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
From June 1940 - Minesweeping Group 56 - minesweeping trawlers JOSEPH BUTTON (Ty Sk J Drennan RNR), RED GAUNTLET (Ty Sk E Hutchinson RNR), both at Harwich, STOUR (Ty Sk G H Smith RNR) at Barry, TRANIO (Sk J Bond RNR) at Harwich.

From January 1941 -  Minesweeping Group 56 – minesweeping trawlers MARCONI (Ty Sk G Noble RNR) at Lowestoft, STOUR (Ty Sk G H Smith RNR), TRANIO (Ty Lt A L Gillies RNR), both at Harwich.

From January 1942 - Balloon Barrage Vessels - ABLETTE, CAROLE, CHARLES HUTSON, COSMIC, EDITH, EILEEN, ELECTION, ELSIE, ESTER, FELIX, HOOK, LESLIE WEST, ORWELL, STOUR, all at Felixstowe.

Courtesy of http://www.naval-history.net/

Birthday Honours lists usually contain no information other than the persons name. You may wish to try at a library and check Seedies List of awards to the RN, there may be a mention in there. I don't think STOUR was at Dunkirk so the award may be for minesweeping.

Also, http://www.unithistories.com/officers/rnr_officerss.html [scroll half way down page]

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh for the info.

The admiralty's reply has only left more questions than it answers, as per usual with this game. I would really like to know why he was MID'd but I fear I will never know. My father told me he received a medal from the Norwegian government for rescuing people from a torpedoed ship, so it maybe something to do with that. But until that day...I can only hope to find Stour's war diary. But then again, if he was skipper..who would have reported his actions for the MID?.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
HMS STOUR was a Mersey Class Trawler. Originally named DANIEL FEARALL. Built for the Admiralty ADM number 3571, by Cochrane at Selby, launched 02/11/1917, completed 29/01/1918, yard number 831.
She was completed as a Minesweeper. Delivered 03/02/1918 and used as a training ship. Renamed STOUR in September 1920.
Recommissioned as a HMS PEMBROKE 01/09/1922 (Colne class ( 2 3 pounders)
1939 fitted out as a Minesweeper and renamed STOUR Pennant number FY1592 Based at Harwich with the 56th minesweeping group.
1946 sold to Easton Trawling Swansea. Registered at Swansea as STORESSE (SA22) official number 168575.
1948 sold to East fisheries Cape Town SA. Registered at Cape Town (CTA37)
1967 stripped of non ferrous metals and usable gear.02/1967 Scuttled as IRVIN JOHNSON  part of an artificial reef in False Bay by the SA Navy.

Search Google images for Mersey class trawler.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022